Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi, I'm MickeyJ

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by MickeyJ, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Hey there! Here's a quick note to introduce myself.

I got my first bike July this year - never ridden before then (other than my learners test!) and recently got my full licence, albeit under LAMS conditions.

I was always interested in bikes when I was a teen, but then things always got in the way of getting one (car, work, family, mortgage, etc.).

When I was retrenched from my job of 15 years earlier this year, I decided that since I since I had the time and a little cashola, I'd finally get myself a bike. Ended up with a 2012 GT250R Hyo new for about $5k. Bike's been good so far and have done a bit over 4000 klms on it to date.

I've put a screamin' exhaust (can) on the stock exhaust which has given the bike a better note (after all, it is a V-twin) and it no longer sounds like a scooter! It immediately gave it a little more get up and go, which is important for a 250!

I'm lucky I live in the South East of Melbourne, so plenty of hills around, and can easily do a couple of hundred klms around home. I'm getting more confident all the time and would love to go on a few rides with some more experienced riders and get some tips (and more practice).

I'm married with three kids (2 boys and a girl) who are in Primary School. I thought I'd join this forum to connect with like-minded souls and to garner any tips, tricks and talk to help me enjoy many years of trouble-free riding!
  2. Welcome!
    Take advantage of every training opportunity you can. The only rider you should ignore is the rider that thinks they know everything there is to know. Riding is a lifelong learning experience and there is ALWAYS something new to discover.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome MickeyJ,

Enjoy the site.

One thing I'd suggest is don't bling up the LAMS bike too much as it becomes a bit of a diminishing returns prospect due to the massive improvement of non-LAMS bikes that awaits you. You get a better long term return for the bike post LAMS of the pipes etc.

Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Spocky
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hello and welcome, there are often Sunday learner friendly rides, sometimes they even go to your area.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome (belatedly) to two wheels, and to Netrider

I'd endorse the earlier comment on spending money on your LAMS bike; you won't get it back when you sell it, so ride it as it is, sell it for what you can get, and plough the cash into some goodies for your first unrestricted bike..
    • Like Like x 1