Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by dgug, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I stumbled across NetRider a week or so ago and wanted to become part of the great community you have here. Although I'm currently living in the UK, I'm originally from Melbourne and will probably be back home towards the end of the year (just in time for summer :grin: ).

Anyway, a big hello to all from the UK :cool:

2. Hey Dgug

I guess riding in Melbourne will be a breeze compared to where you are now?

welcome to Netrider, a friendlier bunch of people you wont find

Tracey & Phil
  3. So what's it like riding over there at this time of year?
    Bloody freeeeezing here at the moment! You know - kinda like summer in the UK :p
    Got a current ride, and if so what are roads like for a good fang?
    Cheers, and welcome :grin:
  4. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

At the moment I don't have a bike (insurance is a killer over here - basically take your usual Oz insurance and replace the $ sign with a £ sign, and I have no where to park it), but I have organised a weekend ride in Wales in about a month (hire bike).

As for what it's like riding over here..... Well, at the moment it's supposed to be summer, but it's pouring with rain. Typical :p

Like Australia, the roads vary in quality, but in general are better. Having only driven around, I can imagine how good some of the roads would be. The roads in Wales remind me of the roads in Tassie. Good mix of long sweepers and tight twisties, but generally a very good surface.

I'll have to post a report on the Welsh roads after my weekend riding the hills in mid July. I just hope it doesn't rain!!! :)
  5. Oh would love to read about the wales ride!!
    Wales is on one of our family heritage travel for the future

6. Welcome to the forum.. :grin:
  7. Hmm,

I wonder how riding is like in the UK, must be the freezing balls type of riding i'm assuming.

Kind of like Melbourne weather at the moment.
  8. Hello mate and welcome, I'm a pommie living in melbourne :cool:

Have fun giving it a wristful in wales, but pick your route carefully - they're a biatch for speeding there.... Cameras and the plod around every corner on some of the best roads :evil:
  9. Hey fella. All my relies are in UK. some around Romford and most of the others in Stratford on avon and wales (i'm a Taff).

if you ever get in the shit let me know, my relies would help out in a flash.
  10. welcome dgug. i spent some time in the UK last year. caught up with some fam and got to go to the IOM TTs while i was at it.

look up visordown while you're there. online forum like netrider and good group of people. they have coffee nights which is a nice way to get to know them and some hang out at the Ace cafe on the wkd.

enjoy your time there and look forward to meeting you when you get back to oz. cheers, c x
  11. Janosh - Thanks for the info. A few of the guys here at work mentioned the same thing, so we'll be taking it easy(ish :p ).

Woodsy - Thanks for the offer, bud. It's always good to know there's support if I need it :)

carri27 - Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

So far it's been a blast being over in the UK (I've been here with my g/f for just over 2 years so far) and although my riding has been limited, I have been around to watch the BSB & GP and take part in the occasional track day. Never enough, though. Man I miss my bike
  12. welcome.....i'm visiting the uk later this year......will you still be around at the end of november?
  13. Not sure yet. My girlfriend and I have more or less decided that we'd like to head back to Oz later this year, just not sure when (we've told our families we'd probably be home for Christmas, though)
  14. well if you're still there when i'm heading over maybe i'll drop in and visit. otherwise, might catch up sometime when you get back here....

ride safe

15. Welcome to netrider dgug

Love the avatar!!!! :LOL:
  16. You're on!! If I'm still over here while you're visiting, I'll take you to my local and buy you a pint! :beer:

ps: if it doesn't work out, I'll do the same back in Oz :grin:

sarz: thanks mate. this is one of my favourite avatars.... always makes me laugh :LOL:
  17. .... in time for the Netrider Christmas BBQ :LOL:

Welcome to Netrider :).

{Can't resist a Welsh joke.

Neddy Seagoon: "My name is Neddy Seagoon. I come from Wales."

Bloodnock: "I can see that you don't come from sardines, Jim...".}
  18. Welcome aboard!

:grin: :grin:
    What bike did you ride in OZ before you left for the UK?
  19. Thanks Twingirl. I had a 99 R6 which I'd owned for 5 years
    Was definetly good to me :)