Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from new Melb rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Bazz68, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Hey all,

Been lurking around for a few months whilst contemplating getting learners, finally bit the bullet and did it successfully yesterday. Looking forward to shopping for (can't believe I'm putting that into a real sentence) for a bike, have sat on a few in the past few weeks and read heaps in these forums, think I have my heart set on a GS500.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all you awesome folk who have contributed to these forums. It not only inspired me to get off my lazy rear and get my learners, but also has been an immense source of info I otherwise wouldn't have known, and its given me confidence that I can learn the skills required to be a safe rider.

I'd ridden bikes on a friends farm years ago (OK, I'll fess up, it was in the 80's!) and absolutely loved it, but never did anything about it as friends/family always said "its too dangerous". I still don't know anyone else that rides! Two things made me do it now - 1) you only live once, so need to do the things you enjoy (and I love getting out on my pushbike, so figured 2 wheels would be just as much fun with a motor, if not more!) and 2) I might have finally grown up and have some road sense after many years of peak hour commuting on the pushie - reckon if I had've got my licence in my 20's I might have been a bit reckless (whats that saying about maturity coming with age?). I should also thank VicRoads, if there aren't plans to make it alot harder to get your licence, I might have kept procrastinating.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to catching some of you on learner rides/ training at some point in the near future (once I have a bike and am confident enough to get there LOL!), so much to learn!! I'm amazed and in awe that you guys do that to help out people you don't even know, it's that sort of thing that made me think yeah, I can do this, and there is plenty of support out there as well. So keep posting, and happy and safe riding!

2. Welcome to NR Bazza ,

Once you get your wheels you better make sure you get down to Dougs sat morn learners session ,
    you will learn heaps and meet some great people :D

cheers Kitt

PS .. My GS500 is up for sale , check out the bikes for sale section or pm me if you are interested
  3. Welcome to the wonderful world of the motorcycle Bazz.
    If you need some help in the early days or just want some experience around you post i the mentor thread.
    Get down to sat learners practice as soon as you can, you'll be glad you did and make some friends too.
    Yeah, you can do this!!!!
  4. Hi Bazz, welcome to Netrider and good luck on finding your first bike and then going on that blissful (yet daunting) first ride on then road by yourself.
    Hope you have many years ahead of you in the saddle and take care and enjoy all that riding has to offer.
  5. Welcome mate
  6. Hiya Bazz,
    Welcome! I'm a newbie too (both to the forum and riding!), but have so far enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too.
    Particularly on such a sweet bike!
  7. Thanks for the greetings guys, much appreciated!

Kitt, I'll PM you re GS500 - thanks for suggestion re Sat morning, I'll rock up when I finally get a bike. In L's I passed but wasn't great on quick stop as I don't use front brake enough - its the fear of using it to heavily on push bike and going over the handlebars. So definitely need guidance and practice on that to start with!

Doug, thanks for hint re mentor thread too, I hadn't found that one before for some reason... I need more hours in a day

Quo, trent, nice to be here, thanks for the welcome.

Cass, another convert hey! I'll post more on your welcome as interested to see how you're finding it (hope you didn't ride this arvo in those storms!).

ooops, better get back to work.....
  8. Welcome. Ride safe, but most of all, enjoy!
  9. Hi Bazz and welcome to NR
  10. Hi Bazz and welcome aboard buddy.
    A very interesting, detailed and great intro (y)
    Enjoy your new beast, once acquired, and safe riding to you :)
  11. Hey Bazz,
    Welcome aboard & congrats on getting your L's!!!
    Looking forward to seeing you join in the Sat morn sessions sometime soon. :D

12. Hi Bazz! I know what you mean about info and support here on NR - it's crazy!
    Nice to see other noobs making from Melb too and good luck with the GS500f :)
  13. Hi and welcome to the wasted hours Bazza.