Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by my34, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Hi all, ok so a little about me. I'm turning 35 this week and possibly going through a mid life crisis, so i decided to buy a bike. While i have ridden many scooters while drunk in Thailand before, i had never actually ridden a real motorcycle with gears, capable of going more than 60km p/h. So i was understandably a little nervous buying a proper bike, especially knowing that my balance and eyesight isn't what it used to be in my 20's. Nonetheless I took the plunge and bought a brand new Yamaha R3. And i tell you what, I'm hooked!
    I ride my bike everyday from my house in the SE to my work in the CBD. Some people hate city traffic, but i love it. Especially love being able to pass the long peak hour queues by filtering.
    Ive been riding about 2 months now and I'm improving each day. I'm at the point where I'm really confident getting to and from work now. What i AM lacking is experience on twisty roads. My bike has chicken strips because it's always upright. How do i learn to corner even half as good as Valentino Rossi? I just can't do it. I wish i could use all of my tires.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hi and welcome to NR! Nice ride too, the R3. Steady on with the leaning as it will come with practice. Sneak up on it and do it right by reading some of the resources on NR to give you a fighting chance to make it both fun and safe.

Happy riding and keep the shiny side up! :)
  3. welcome aboard :] as GoldenberriGoldenberri has said check out resources and experience available here
  4. Welcome my34my34! Where abouts in the SE are you?
    As mentioned the newbie sections have a lot of guides on good cornering, and really it's all about practice.

Good trick if you're a commuter, probably something I should have been doing anyway, is to apply all of the cornering rules to all the little turns on the freeway. Get your body in the right position, pick the right line, look through the corner instead of the wrong places etc. so it becomes a default response to a turn.
  5. Hello and Welcome :) Get yourself down to Elwood practice with the fabulous Doug and Dave :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Welcome to NR!

As above, Saturday Practice is a great place to learn.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. welcome to Netrider! ....as has been already said, Saturday Practice is the place to go! (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome to the roads, and, as suggested, get on to the Leaner Sessions, there's a wealth of stuff these guys have to share!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. What they all said ^^^.

But also - look through corners at where you want to be going, not at anything else (target fixation). And push forward on the bar in the direction you want to turn/lean - so push left for going left, push right for going right. You're doing this already, but applying more pressure will dip your bike further into corners and allow you to hold more speed through them. Its called counter steering and there is a heap you can read up on it, also watch Twist of the Wrist on YouTube which is useful despite the lousy acting lol. Practice makes perfect....
  10. Howdy & Welcome to NR!