Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by kingnothing, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hi All,

This is my first time on netriders! I've heard a lot about these forums and the community.
    I came here because I want to buy a motorbike and start riding to work on a daily basis.
    I am also looking to buy a second hand bike as my first motorbike.

I've done some research on the kind of bike I'd like to buy. I'm looking for a 400CC naked to start off with.

Talk to you soon!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome to NR kingnothing, naked bikes are good, any bike's good when you first start off just as long as you're on 2 wheels, good thing is you know [for now] what you want. Alot would suggest to buy your first bike in second hand fashion, due to the fact we ALL have dropped our bikes at point or another, get yourself down to sat morn prac sessions when you can, alot to learn, alot of people to meet, and riding to work daily is fun, can get hairy but hey, a little hair never hurt anyone :)
  3. Thanks for the reply goodie.
    Just wanted to know if there are any real advantages to naked bikes, especially for learners.
    To me, it just looks easier to ride compared to the sports variants.
    Also the fact that they seem to be a little cheaper than the others.
    - kingnothing.
  4. There's one big advantage of a naked bike for learners ... far less plastic to smash should you drop it!
    Personally, most of the times I've dropped the bike was just moving around the shed or yard, not on the road. It's those drops that get under my skin the most, too.
    Sometimes they also have more gentle steering geometry, so they won't turn in as fast and contribute to a less experienced/skilled rider low-siding. That's "sometimes", and doesn't hold true on every bike.
  5. Well naked bikes are more stable in cross winds conditions, less plastics as stated above, ride position [if you have back issues] is more upright. Horses for courses
  6. Welcome to NR!

400cc naked? Looks like the Honda CB400 is the one for you. LAMs approved and great reliability from what I had read/heard.

Enjoy :D.
  7. Welcome to NR ;)
    Apart from the fact that they're cheaper to drop (no plastics bits that cost hundreds to repair) and are easier in strong winds (no plastic bits that catch the wind, the wind goes more or less straight through)? I'd say naked bikes are also the best suitable type for riders who aren't sure of their style yet. You can easily commute, have fun in the twisties, go for longer tours. Once you know what you really want your bike for, you can go for a specific style.
  8. Welcome to NR. CB400 is an awesome learner bike and very reliable. Just be careful with anything pre-2008 as it will be a grey import.
  9. Welcome to NR
  10. That's what I had in mind.
  11. C
    Thanks for the tip. I'm on the lookout for a CBR400 ABS > 2008.
  12. Thanks!
  13. Why do people say this to new riders?
    Dropping your bike is not guaranteed
    If you have dropped your bike you have probably been unlucky.

Welcome :)
  14. Welcome to NR (y)

I went 7 months on my MadAss without dropping him...6 days into owning my ninja and I found myself underneath him with a broken foot (totally rider error)...so no, you're not going to drop your bike, but be prepared financially just in case...