Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by spacejazz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hello folks.

I don't ride. I want to ride. I've wanted to ride for a couple of decades! I had a couple of bikes in my youth (DR250 and a RM250) but that was a long time ago in what seems a galaxy fa..... Never mind.

My son recently got his L's and the old flame has been re-ignited (the little bugger). I have two reservations. The first is common. As a car owner I'm always looking out for bikes, motorised or not. It's only when one of you crazy monkeys fly past at 150+ clicks that I may miss you, but usually the exhaust note breaking the sound barrier gives me a clue. Anyway, I digress. The amount of terrible drivers freaks me out a little. Convince me otherwise.

The second reservation is the roads. Our roads are the pits. And you can often take that literally. I want to be able to commute to work when the weather is nice, or at least not pouring with rain. I also want to take nice long rides to destinations unknown (in due time of course). So how do motorcycles handle our horrid roads. Are they often a cause of accident or is that purely down to rider awareness?

Any light shed on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

p.s I met a few of you in Elwood a several weeks ago, and if all goes ahead I'll certainly be attending.
  2. Welcome to NR.

Second point first - we all seem to survive on the roads. Sure, there's a few potholes, but generally the riding is good. :D Not sure where in Melbourne you're from, but your commute should be fine. Country roads - yes, some of them are a bit crappy, but we all seem to have a pretty good time anyway.

First point.. make it YOUR responsibility to stay safe. Don't depend on what the cagers are doing. Sure, accidents happen; hell, we might meet our maker sometime, but riding YOUR ride and taking responsibility for what YOU allow to happen around you is probably the best way to keep yourself as safe as possible. People call it "riding like they're out to kill you". I prefer to call it, "riding like you're invisible". Plus knowing your limits.

Hope you convert the desire into reality, and see you on the roads soon.
  3. #3 spacejazz, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Hi Greydog.

I appreciate the reply. The road condition was a curiosity. They often stink when in the car so naturally I wondered about bikes. Particularly cornering. I'm at South Morang. Yan yean road is crapolla but there will be all of Hurstbridge, Nutfield, St. Andrews, Kinglake... getting ahead of myself :D

Understood. Own your space attitude? (I write Understood then ask a question, bahaha) I already have a 'everyone is trying to kill you' attitude in the car. I'm not a nervous driver at all, but It shites me no end. Perhaps a future candidate for a road rage incident :/ As for limits. I probably can't take much I learnt as a mudslinger on to the roads, so I'll assume a clean slate and start at the beginning.

Time to start saving for gear and a CB400SF... or a GS500... or...

4. Owning your space is fine as long as you can own it without being splattered. No point being in the right if you're dead. But owning your space helps you to be visible.

Stay visible. Mind you, cagers are notorious for looking and not seeing, but at least you can do your best by putting yourself in the best possible position to be seen.
  5. Our roads are certainly not "the pits" by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know what you're used to but wherever it is must be truly amazing and I highly suggest you hurry back there immediately in case they're missing you.
  6. OP - HTFU and buy a bike

Did the condition of the roads worry you 20yrs ago? Cos they haven't improved, or got worse....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Oh, and welcome to Netrider

....and are you hot....?

(Greydog wanted me to ask...)
  8. gobber got that job for the council then...
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ok perhaps I didn't ask the question right and hit a nerve, maybe. How do the bikes handle when you don't see the pothole and hit it, straight line or cornering.

Gobberwart. I'm from Melbourne. Northern suburbs and go on a few crap roads each day to work. Yan Yean, Rosanna, Heidelberg. If they're great roads then perhaps I'd rather know where you came from :p[DOUBLEPOST=1357375623][/DOUBLEPOST]
    See my avatar. I'm terribly sexy!
    • Like Like x 1

10. Dodge the pothole if you can otherwise generally inertia wins, the bike is briefly unsettled and then continues in its track. Assuming of course the potholes are not Jules Verne Journey to the Centre of the Earth class. Road Surface is something with which you learn to cope. In situations where surface changes more accidents occur through inappropriate rider input during the instability. Chopping the throttle, incorrect braking pulling out of a lean, the so named "Shit Reflexes" or SR.
  11. ^^ wot he said....while the roads aren't always great, often the trouble is caused more by the rider's reaction (or lack of as the case may be) at the time.

Generally the faster you go, the less potholes you hit (I think that's right.....)
  12. Not so much hit a nerve as I just found it a very strange position to take. Melbourne roads aren't all professional grade race tracks by any means, but in general I've found they're mostly better than reasonable. If you consider them all to be "the pits" or "horrid" then either you're spoilt having come from somewhere where the roads are all paved with unicorn poop or you're a bit of a sook. I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt, but maybe I was wrong.

There are some fantastic roads around Melbourne to ride and, yes, there are some (relatively) crap ones too. I'm yet to encounter a road that's been bad enough to cause a significant issue for me provided I'm paying attention to the road and riding to the conditions. You'll come across leaf litter, potholes, gravel and various other shit around the place, but it's really not that big a deal.

Get a bike, mate. Go for a ride. It's fun :)
  13. Hey Ken!

Welcome to NR.

You should def get a bike, you won't regret it! The two you're considering are good too.

I wondered the same about roads, and they're better on two wheels.
    If you know the roads condition, you have the pleasure of picking your wheel track, a luxury not available in a car. I was surprised to notice roads were better on a bike.

It also depends what bike you get, it's suspension, how much weight is on the wrists.

My new bike just floats over the roads, I don't notice bad conditions (within reaso ).

As the others said, ride like your invisible. Always expect a cager to do something stupid!
  14. pot holes dont worry us cruisers so much , the boy racers
    doing there best Mick impression can get into trouble.
    buy a badass looking bike with loud pipes
    and the cagers stay well clear.

when did you ever see a mean looking dood on a black hd / cruiser cut of in traffic ?