Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from far-south coast NSW

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Tony Hastings, Sep 30, 2014.

1. When you watch the MotoGP or F1 races on telly here, an add for the local shop, Mick Cole Motorcycles comes on. There's some cool electric guitar and a voice over "there's nothing like the feeling of riding a motorcycle; don't dream about it - do it!"
    I'd ridden pushbikes since my legs were long enough to reach the ground, and always wanted a motorbike. However I also liked to race things as fast as they'll go, so thought maybe it would be too risky.
    I've ben driving for over 30 years now, never had an at-fault accident and never done worse than breaking an indicator lense on a Kangaroo's bum. I figure I've learned the defensive driving skills and calmed down enough to survive riding a bike.
    A mate had a Honda Spada VT250, which for some reason we always called "my bike". The day came he needed to sell it - having upgraded to a Suzi Gixr 600 and was moving interstate, so the price came down into my budget. Of course it was not working or registered...
    A spot of superglue in the right place and a cheap headlight had it all fixed working and passing roadworthy - sweet-as! I learned to change gears and handle slides by riding around the wet grassy paddocks before venturing out on the roads. Because of my remote location, getting a licence only requires passing the knoweldge test; no compulsory course or practical test. This does mean I'm learning by experimentation, youtube clips, magazine articles and chatting with friends.
    Just a few weeks later, I'm thoroughly enjoying it! Although it takes me longer to put on the over-pants, boots, jacket, helmet and gloves than it does to ride to work, I'm preferring the bike to the car. I feel very lucky to be learning in this area; lovely winding, smooth bitumen roads with few cars. Riding bliss!
    The run along the Tathra-Bermagui Road is awesome fun. I'm looking forward to doing a lap around the block: Bega, up Brown Mountain to Nimmitable for coffee and cake, across to Bombala for a greasy burger, down MT Darragh Rd to Pambula and home; 250km loop, mostly winding roads. Anyone want to come for the cruise?

2. Howdy and welcome aboard.
  3. G'day and welcome

Those roads sound familiar...
  4. Welcome to Netrider

Many years ago, on a ride to Melbourne via the coast, I and my companion stopped in at Mick Coles' shop in Bega, for a minor repair on my bike. While we were waiting, we went into the showroom, and I said 'hi' to Mick. On his office wall is a picture of the bike he rode to win the famous Suzuka 8 Hour Race. I pointed to the picture and then at Mick sitting behind his desk. My mate just went wide-eyed and said "Wow".
  5. The boys at Mick Cole saved our dumb ass's on last summer's tour. I'll definitely be going back there some day for those roads - they are the best. Welcome to Netrider Tony!
  6. thanks for all that.
    Riders going the opposite way often nodding towards me as they go past. At first I think, gee everyone seems so friendly; then I realise I've left the indicator on again. They're probably nodding towards it, to say "turn it off you idiot!"
    Should probably fix the dash light so I can see when it's flashing....
  7. Welcome Tony!
  8. Welcome aboard.

Nah, they're probably nodding to say 'hi'. You can't really tell why someone's indicating from the other side of the road, or that they've left it on. It happens to the best of us.
  9. Thanks for all that. Still going great with it and having fun.
    Getting better at turning the indicator off and people still nodding at me. Even kids wave as you ride past. In the carpark at Pambula Motorfest, the old Spada got some positive comments. It's really grown on me.
    Looking at riding up Brown Mt to Canberra to do the "pre-provisional" course. The old problem of either can't go cause I'm working, or am free to go but can't afford it as I'm not working. We'll see.
    Couple of questions:
    How do you reduce the weight on your wrists on the steep downhills? Do you still try and brake upto the corner, then hold throttle through it, or just ease the brake a little on the downhill corners?
    When you get to the shops, what do you do with all your riding gear? It's too hot to keep on, and too expensive to leave lying around.
  10. Core body strength certainly helps.

In the car - how did you do it? - I suggest you read robs cornering 101 and other similar pinned threads.

What are you wearing? If I'm just going to the shops I just have runners, shorts, t shirt, helmet and gloves.
  11. My options in order from easiest to hardest:

1) Wear street gear like b12mickb12mick described. Depends on your risk appetite and how putridly hot it is outside.

2) Bring a lockable bag and cable lock. Helmet, jacket and gloves go in the bag. Jeans stay on for obvious reasons. Ditto boots.

3) If I'm gonna be off the bike for a while, option (2) with packed shorts and thongs.

4) Otherwise: suck it up. Carry the helmet and gloves, wear everything else.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. For clarification I NEVER leave my helmet with my bike if it's not in full view and easily reached.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reduce the weight on your wrists under ANY circumstances by gripping the tank with your knees/thighs!
  14. welcome...wow wat an intro!
  15. thanks for those replies; much appreciated.

I'm finding the weight on the wrists not so bad now I've got more experience. There seem to be 3 factors:
    1/ sitting more upright, with a more relaxed grip. I was too hunched over and hanging on for dear life before
    2/ yes, gripping the tank with the knees and using core strength
    3/ going faster! The wind helps hold the body up