Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from a new rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by _wheel_, Jun 25, 2014.

1. G'day,

New rider / poster from central west NSW. Just got my first bike (ER5) & learners.

Always wanted a bike but never had the cash available. Late starter (30).

Had a couple of wobbly rides so far but great fun. Looking forward to many more.

2. Welcome Wil, there is lots of good information on this site as well as some not so good. I'll leave it for you to decide what you like and so on. Don't be afraid to post up stuff, that's how you get to know more people.
  3. Hi Wil,

Welcome to netriders! When you say central west, exactly where are you? There are a number of members that live out near the black stump so you're probably not alone. Take it easy to start with and then progress as your skills improve. Once you feel comfortable and have had your 'Ps' for a while I recommend attending a riding course. The Stay Upright Advanced are good (I've done one), and I believe the HART courses are also good. There are a number of other training organizations so do a web search and then check out comments from other riders to ensure you're getting value for money. A course will probably mean you'll need to travel to the 'big smoke'.

In the meantime, see if you can find an experienced rider to ride with; someone that can observe you riding and suggest little things that can assist in your riding skills.
  4. Howdy mate!
  5. Welcome!
  6. Welcome to NR
  7. Hi bandit01,

Am living in Mudgee mate.

It's a lot simpler to get your learners out here - just a computer theory test at the RMS. And then you're totally legal to be set free on the road... Bit scary really.

However, being totally new I actually went down to HART in Melbourne to take their one day learner course just to get the basics down with some professional instruction. I found it very worthwhile and I would definitely go back for their other intermediate and advanced courses once I have a bit more time on the bike.
  8. Hi Wil,

Mudgee; lovely part of the world. A few good rides in that area, particularly Bylong Valley Way. My sister-in-law and her family live near Cooks Gap and I occasionally get up there; sometimes on the bike, but mostly in the cage with the wife. Unfortunately her little Vespa isn't really up to a 3ookm ride.

Good to see you're sensible and realistic and attended the HART course.

Stay Safe
  9. welcome to NR :)
  10. Hi from another newbie. But .. call yourself a late starter? That's my privilege (51)! Have fun.