Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi from a new member!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by LCGTR1970, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I just signed up to the forum after lurking around here for months. I've been reading up on here plently of helpful info leading up to me getting my "L's".
    Anyway, my name is Jordan and I live in Wagga Wagga NSW.
    Im relatively new to bikes and the bike scene (only ever paddock bashed a postie on a friends farm for years) so riding on the roads is a whole new experience...a strange one initially, but now I'm loving it!
    Ive been riding my girlfriends CB250 as I dont have my own bike...yet.
    I'm normally found in a Torana of some sort as I own a couple of them and they have been my release so far...but it looks like riding could intrude on that a bit now!
    Anyway, I look forward to talking with some new people and gaining some valuable advice.

2. G'day mate.

3. Welcome :)

I have an old friend in Canberra who owns 5 various A9-X/L34 Toranas; noisy beasts :).
  4. remember Baden powell drive is only fun if you don't come off :)
  5. welcome mate, plenty to learn on these boards
  6. ha ha yeah...obviously spent time in wagga im guessing!

i would love an A9X or L34...but mine are noisy enough and heaps of fun too!...but if he wants to give one away ill help him out by taking one...or 5!

Thanks for the welcome guys!
  7. welcome and enjoy your stay.
  8. Welcome to Netrider mate - safe and happy riding to you.
  9. Welcome ... Enjoy this new experience in life and ride safe
  10. Welcome Jordan good to see another gmht member on here. Your right in thinking that bikes will intrude on your muscle cars, they certainly did for me. My torana is sitting there collecting dust 80% complete. Wait till you have your first taste of a 'big' bike and you'll be hooked.

Just be really alert out there on the road. The good thing about coming from muscle cars to bikes is that your driving style is similer in many ways to a bike. Regardless of insurance you dont want your torana to get in even the most minor acident so your far more causious about stopping suddenly, second guessing suspicious drivers and choosing where your park wisely. Your used to having brakes that are inferior to most cars on the road and no ABS so your more alert, you keep bigger gaps and have learnt to be smooth on the brakes. Same goes with the throttle, your used to fighting wheel spin and being nice and smooth so you don't twist an axel or snap another bloody banjo center.

All that transfers across to bikes. I've found that it has helped me heaps, I think I first got my Ls back in 2006 and I've been riding virtually full time ever since. I've never come off but I've had a few very close calls with cars not giving way though. I honestly think that if I didn't have 7 years of driving muscle cars prior to getting into bikes that I'd have had a number of 'offs' by now.
  11. ha ha youre exactly right! i find that im extremely aware when driving ie looking ahead, looking at intersections and side roads for people not stopping, road hazards, leaving gaps etc etc etc.
    its really bad especially in the gtr as people focus on the car and not where theyre driving...especially as theyre driving along next to you...they start merging into your lane!
    But yeah i noticed when i got my L's at the stay upright course that everything they were saying to do i pretty much already do....hopefully it all goes well and i keep my wits about me!
  12. Very BIG and warm welcome to you. Hope you have a blast!!:biker: