Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi Folks

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by davef, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have decided to return to riding after a few years away. Not that I was that experienced to start with as I spent two years riding around on my Ls and never got around to getting my license (truth be known I was not able to pass the test despite surviving for two years riding almost every day - but that's another story ).

So, looking to buy either a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER5. When I used to ride I had a 1980's BMW R80RT.

Anyway, any suggestions on which of the two bikes I am contemplating would be appreciated.

Later on I would also like to do a bike restoration - something old just like me :) but for now just want to get on the road with something reliable.

2. Hi Dave, welcome to NR, where are you located? NSW, VIC? couple of guys ride the gs500 and reckon they're great
  3. I'm in the ACT.
  4. if you need protective gear Takamii in ACT is the man on here
  5. both the GS500 and Er-5 are good learner bikes... Prob more parts around for a GS500 though. But personally I'd go back for the BMW hehe :D

and welcome
  6. Would love another beemer but minister of finance wont let me spend that much :)
  7. Welcome to NR.

hehe. Have you thought of a vote of no confidence. :p
  8. Don't have the numbers I'm afraid - her vote counts twice :)
  9. Welcome to NR :)
  10. haha... sods law that one ](*,)
    ahh well, then I'd say GS500 really... Can get a good clean 2nd example easy enough