Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Ohmigosh, Mar 10, 2010.

1. New to bikes. Old to life.

Did the NSW pre-learner last week with Stay Upright at Rouse Hill.

Did my DKT yesterday.

Got some bright new yellow plastic L's and nowhere to hang them.

Researching bikes. Going to go shopping soon.

Been lurking here for a while reading all sorts of interesting (and scary) stuff.

Very impressed with the general friendliness and support that is shown and I am looking forward to being a part of it.

Fun Ha!
  2. Hi Ohmigosh, Welcome to the community. I know there are a couple of Netriders selling bikes that may be suitable so have a look in the For Sale area. Otherwise good luck in hunting a bike. Don't forget to budget your protective gear in as part of the cost. Gloves, Helmet, Jacket Boots etc.
  3. welcome mate, enjoy your new hobby
  4. Thanks for the welcome.

And yeah - Buy the protective gear and use the change for your bike - Got that. Not going to skimp and the budget will definitely allow the for the right gear.

Might even place an order this Saturday - If I get the courage up :D
  5. G'day and welcome. Although I've been riding a few years now, I'm new here myself.

Some quick advice on buying bikes and gear.

Before you buy a bike, ride absolutely everything you can get your hands on and buy the one that gives you the biggest smile. Don't necessarily listen to the "buy a....... they're the best bike". I know lots of people who go ape shit over cruisers, but personally, for me, they are the most uncomfortable things on the planet, but that's just me.

Buy the best gear you can afford. But just because a helmet costs $1000 doesn't mean it's the best for YOU. Different helmets (brands/models) fit different heads. If it doesn't fit properly, then it's not going to do the job properly. A good bike shop will help you with this. It's always a good idea to try a helmet on and leave it on for 10 minutes, if you feel pain, try a different helmet. Oh, if you wear glasses, make sure you can get them on inside the helmet.

When I first started riding, I was on a really tight budget. I bought a brand new helmet (NEVER buy a second hand helmet) and gloves, then went to Cash Converters and bought the jacket, pants and boots second hand. In fact some 14 years later I still have the boots.
  6. Ha - Yeah good advice. Mind you the "ride everything you can" is a bit of an issue due to the "massive" amounts of experience I have which totals to about 5 hours on a bike doing circlework at my pre-learners. Noone - least of all me - is going to be enamoured of the idea of letting me take their bike for a test ride.

But I've spoken to a lot (relatively) people and my height sort of shuts out a lot of choices - The CB250's at Stay Upright felt cramped (knees up around ear-lobes - well not really but you get the picture) so a larger LAMS bike is in order. At this point it seems like the 500GS fits the bill.

And my melon is very oddly shaped and I have a big beak so I reckon I'll have fun finding a good fitting helmet. 8-[

Fun Ha!
  7. If you have a big beak, don't even think about Shark helmets. I'm yet to find one where my nose doesn't touch the chin piece/visor/breath guard.

Even if you only ride it round the block, it'll at least give you some idea. As I posted elsewhere, no point paying 8 grand + on something you end up not liking. Also, just because someone else your height/weight thinks it's a good fit, doesn't mean YOU will feel comfortable.

I will agree though, that the GS500/F is a good bike, but to be honest, no one makes a bad bike anymore, they just make bikes you don't like.
  8. Cheers mate.

I'll see what happens.

9. HiDee HoDee & welcome!
    I won't go over the ATGATT message, you seem to have that locked in and good on you, if the worst happens you'll be thankful.
    As for buying, or more to the point, test riding bikes you might find this is on your side,
    Even if you're looking at buying a new bike many dealers will have something with a few kms on that you can throw a leg over and if you're looking at second hand make sure you slip into convo that you couldn't possibly buy something without having tried it. A bigger fear for a dealership is the "young, dumb and full of..." customer, insurance might cover the bike but it doesn't cover the hike in premium over subsequent years.