Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi everybody

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Four40, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Suppose now is as good a time as any to say g'day. I am currently reading as much as I can about this world of powered cycles and counting down the days until my Stay Upright course.

I've never ridden a motorcycle before and I don't drive a car (yet). My first job was within walking/bike riding distance, so I've never really had the need for motorised transport. Sure, I clocked up 20,000kms or so on my mountain bikes and still enjoy it, but I am finally biting the bullet and going to learn to ride a motorcycle.

I definitely fall into the category "Why has it taken so long for me to do this" and will be commuting to work as much as possible, once I get my confidence and skills up.

I've enjoyed what I have read here so far and look forward to actively participating, both on the forums and on the roads.

Although, the question does remain, in a territory full of idiot cagers, why I am going to ride a motorbike?

I reckon I've got some luck with me as I've been hit by a truck while riding my pushy to work and survived with a little less skin and a shiteload of pain for a while. Peroxide on grazes, ouch!!. Needless to say, I have several options for safety gear and intend to get as much as I can before my SU course.
  2. Welcome mate.

Yep, get the gear..
  3. Welcome to NR :)

Good, but as you know you don't want to rely on it!

There's someone on NR with the following saying in their sig:

"You start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience - the trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty"

Good advice :cool:
  4. Welcome Aboard !!!
    re: luck .. check my sig :p
  5. hi and welcome to NR
  6. OH MY GOD :eek:

Hit by a truck and you survived with just some skin lost???? Well done!

Welcome to NR
  7. Hello, that acco doesn't sound fun. Welcome, enjoy the training!
  8. Welcome Four40.

Everyone is a motorbike rider, some of them just don't know it yet.

We're all here eager to help and to hear stories of you filling your bag of experiences.

9. welcome.. tough luck about the truck hitting ya... hope you're abit more lucky this time round on 2 wheels :grin:
  10. It was the most surreal experience I've had. One moment, I'm happily peddling along and then I'm moving sideways. The sudden stop at the end wasn't nice but I'm built pretty well :)

Just need to get a jacket and gloves and I've got my gear, yay!
  11. Welcome :newb: .

At least you'll be wearing more protection than when your on a pushy. Also don't forget boots with good ankle protection - motorbikes are heavier (especially if they land on you). :grin:
  12. I've bought some Oxtar Performance SS 2 (I think that's the model) boots on the weekend. Nice and comfortable with good heel, ankle and shin protection.