Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi and questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Wanderer, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Hi All,

I am new to this forum (and to Victoria!) as I have moved down here for work from Sydney. This is a great forum! I tried aus.motorcycles, however no-body was interested in a newbie there. The first post I made here was replied to in no time!!

Can someone let me know the main rule differences between Sydney and Melbourne. I have the Vic Roads books but haven't had a chance to go through them all yet :shock:

I know the main ones such as trams and hook turns, but are there any others that are specific to riders as opposed to drivers?

Thanks

Wanderer (Jason)

2. Welcome to Vic (no not me) and to the forums.
    You can park on the footpath as long as you are not obstructing pedestrians/vision impaired or disabled people.

aus.moto was once brilliant, but it turned to shit fairly quickly......anyway,

Enjoy :)

3. G'day & welcome to Victoria.

You'll enjoy the weather down here.

4. Apart from the footpath parking, bike rules in Vic differ from NSW in two other main area's..

1. LAMS. Still restricted to 250cc bikes when on L's and first year of P's.
    2. Starting age. Have to be 18 or over to get a bike learners in Vic.

Also, check out a great 1.5Mb publication from VicRoads on the Victorian road rules and responsibilities - it's what they give to all interstaters :) It's at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf

5. I wish they DID "give it out" - when I changed my licence and car rego over from WA, they didn't give me anything apart from a $26- bill for new plates.

That document may have saved me from almost running down several pedestrians...

6. Happy to be able to say hi Wanderer. This is the greatest group of folk you could find.

7.  Top
  8. Sounds good - what time

Firefling - thanks for the invite - what time do you meet up? I can't make this weekend but am good for the 10th. Let me know when and if you will all be there on the 10th. Look forward to saying Hi! and working out some more about what bike to get! :D

9. Re: Sounds good - what time

According to my social sec, we wouldn't be able to make it this weekend either, or will we? Flipper? What say you? :LOL: Hopefully, we'll see you next Sunday. Details should be in the post, but I think people rock up about 6:30-7:00PM.

10. Hi Wander and welcome to the forums.

I'll see if I can russle up a reply from Knightrider, she's from Sydney and just got her L's a few weeks agp so she should have a good idea of what teh deal is.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned was that motorbikes can use Citylink without requirement of payment. So you don't need to worry about an etag down here for the bike.

11. Re: Sounds good - what time

This weekend is neerim sth but should be back home just after lunchtime. I'm thinking maybe a BBQ at HQ on Sunday the 10th, MotoGP live on Foxtel at 2pm. Yeah?

12. I see mention of HQ but can't find any info on where it is? Someone's house? Pub?

13. It's the house of the gathering netriders, based in mulgrave.

14. to get in you need to take a small animal , some gaffa tape and a virgin for sacrafice :LOL:

15. LOL to get in you just need a sense of humour and if it's a BBQ it's BYO meat and drinks :p

16. Which one's the gaffer tape for? :shock:

17. My first bbq since moving down here! Gotta be up for that! Can you PM me the address?

18. Done Wanderer, check ya PM's

19. theres no virgins down there thats for sure :LOL: