Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi and Question - New rider WA

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cantona, Oct 29, 2009.

  1. Hi

    I'm new here so I hope this is in the right section. I am currently learning to ride a motorbike as it’s been my goal to ride a motorcycle ever since I saw Steve McQueen in The Great Escape.

    I have a question about the 25 hours one must do in the log book section of the Learner license. How would one go about doing this if they don’t know anyone with a motorcycle license? I'm in quite the conundrum as the only way I can see of doing it is paying a trainer $60 per hour to drive around with me and I'd have to do it for 25hours which is going to hurt the wallet. Is there any other way besides paying an instructor?

  2. Re: Hi and Question

    I'm not sure where you live, but I suspect that only applies to car learners.
  3. Re: Hi and Question

    Thanks for the reply,

    I live in perth western australia. Here is the link I got the info from: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/15207.asp

    If you scroll to about half way down you will see the section "Once you have passed your practical assessment".

    It then goes on to say..."do at least 25 hours of supervised riding experience on a road and record that experience in a log book..."

    Any advice?

  4. Re: Hi and Question

    Cripes. I didn't realize they were that stringent over there.
  5. Re: Hi and Question

    All hail the bureaucrat who came up with that. How is a rider to do 25 hours of 'supervised riding experience?' Perhaps the supervisor can hire a helicopter and shadow the rider round? Or follow him or her round in a car for 25 hours. Of course, if they get separated at a set of lights, then the clock will have to be stopped till the car catches up again.

  6. Re: Hi and Question

    thanks for the replies guys,

    I take it you never had to do the 25hrs supervised?

  7. Re: Hi and Question

    nup. I remember camel salesman (remember that guy?) saying something similar. It meant he could legally have a gixxer thou as a learner or something. check the rules, as to whether it needs to be a bike tailing you, or someone with a bike license or just someone in a car irrespective of license. If you need someone on a bike, get friendly. or join a local bike group and do rides with them. on longish rides, you can knock 25 hours over in a few ride days.
  8. Re: Hi and Question

    Can't you just have someone stand in the middle of a roundabout and do like 2000 laps?
  9. Re: Hi and Question

    thats the most stupid thing i've ever heard......supervised riding for a motorbike.....christ on a stick.

    they had an article about the family with 6 kids and each kid having to do something like 150 hours supervised for cages. so for the parents thats 900 hours or something close to that. great idea...
  10. Re: Hi and Question

    get an instructor to follow you for like 3 hours then fob the rest :-w
  11. Re: Hi and Question

    Make a post asking for someone to help you, if you only need someone with a full license someone here would be willing to help you out i'm sure.

    Need help from a Perth rider
  12. Re: Hi and Question

    thanks for the replies guys,

    I think I will post a thread at perth riders and here to see if anyone is in my area thats willing to help me out :nopity:

    I also discovered a possible way of getting out of it. Apparently if I have a car licence I do not have to do the 25 hour log book. I dont have a car licence but could get my automatic licence quite easily and then do my motorcycle licence. I think I will do this if I fail to find someone in my area.

    Once again guys thanks for your advice and I think I will stick around at this forum, it seems really helpful.