Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi All

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Craig24, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Hi All

My name is Craig. Im new to the world of bikes and have just completed my ls course and test so am now looking to purchase my 1st bike. Am looking at the zzr250s... how many ks is to many for these bikes... is under 30000 for a 2000 ish model bike ok and is there anything in particular i should be looking for when buying.

Cheers in advance

2. #2 cjvfr, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Hi Craig, More importantly has it got a good service history, try and see if the current owner has those details. A general rule of thumb is 7k/year in distance so 30k is low for a bike from the 2000ish era.

Don't know much about the ZZR250s but haven't heard anything specifically bad. There are a few threads on what to check, you should buy with a roadworthy so that will cover basic safety, lights and controls. You should get a REVS check which will tell you if there are any financial agreements outstanding for the bike or if it has been a statutory write-off.

Check it starts and rides OK, no obvious crash damage, steering works ok and doesn't feel notchy as you move the handlebars back and forward. Chain and sprockets are adjusted and OK. You can get a mobile mechanic's opinion if you don't feel confident to do these things. The most important thing is the service history though.
  3. Welcome. If buying in Sydney, and you want an experienced eye to help you let me know and I'll come with you to take a look.
    I could write a huge list of things to check but if you have no experience, it will be all but pointless. ZZR250 is a pretty reliable platform. Make sure you see it start from dead cold as they can have noisy cam chains, and fast idle problems being carbed..
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome to NR
  5. Welcome aboard :]
  6. Thanks everyone. The option i am seriously considering is a gs500f. Can't decide both are similiarly priced but i think the 500 will suit me a bit better as im 6'1" and 90kgs. Would you say if they dont have a service history to just walk away... any thoughts? ??
  7. *The other option