Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi all!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Ioseph, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Hi guys thought I'd finally create an account as I've been lurking for over a month now.

Been riding a GS500 for about 3 months now and having loads of fun with it, both commuting and group rides on the weekend
  2. Hi Joseph, welcome to NR. Where are you based?
  3. Brisbane on the south side. Ride with a group from Meetup but always interested in meeting new people :)
  4. Welcome mate!
  5. welcome Joseph!
  6. Welcome to posting in Netrider, Joseph.
  7. Thanks all! So I'll start with a super quick question about down-shifting (apologies if this has been answered elsewhere) :

The way I'm current doing it is:
    1) clutch in
    2) bring revs up slightly and hold them
    2) click shifter down
    3) clutch out slowly holding higher revs

This seems to work fine and is quite smooth, but I've noticed watching other riders seem to hit some throttle and disengage the clutch much faster, does this affect wear'n'tear on the transmission? How about handling? I've always thought clutching smoothly was better than dropping it.

Also I remember reading advice to maintain downwards pressure on the shifter while disengaging which seemed strange (tried it out and doesn't seem to make much difference).