Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi All

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Velox, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Hey,

Quick introduction. I've been riding for close to a year now. Still really enthusiastic (and appropriately safe most of the time), which is a good sign. I have a '13 Ninja 300 which has been a great intro bike and I would highly recommend it to anyone starting out and interested in developing strong skills. About to navigate 'open' waters in March and am in the market for a near new GSX-R 750 or '13/14 675R (any thoughts or opinions welcome). Like most, I'm keen for any advice or tips and hopefully I'll get along to some track days and rides/events soon.

2. G'day Velox. Great weather atm eh? Welcome to NT.
    I cant give you any ideas cause I just don't know.
  3. Welcome to NR!

Lots of good bikes out there. Test ride all of them and pick whatever feels best to you.
  4. Howdy, good starter the baby ninja, if you like it why not go to its big brother ?
  5. Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome and advice.

@Justin Stacks, yeah I've organised to take a few bikes out for a test ride with my local Team Moto dealer, but when buying my first bike (ninja 300) I found even though the bike I test rode was exactly the same bike I bought, the bike I test rode felt completely different to the bike I have now. I know that has a lot to do with the increase in skill level, but I dont want to buy a bike that ins't a good fit 6-12 months down the track. Despite owning a perfectly good car, I find myself commuting any chance I can on my bike; so people have suggested looking at a litre for the convenience, but I'm keen to start looking at some track days and a litre is way out of my depth. Others have suggested that a 600 class bike can be a pain in traffic, so have narrowed the choices down to those will a little more low end pulling power.

@Mcsenna, the new 636 is also a contender and certainly feels the most comfortable (yet to test ride though), but with so few available near new and whilst cost isnt an issue, I'm not looking at buying 100% new (would prefer the bike to be run-in a little). But still a contender and I could definitely be strong-armed into buying new...the baby ninja is near perfect for learners - clipons could do without the raiser though IMO.

Is the 750 too big to be learning on the track though?