Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi all

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by yoshii, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Figured now's as good a time as any to say hi.
    Joined up back in 05 (when i originally planned to get my L's), finally got my ass into gear and got it last month.
    Haven't got a bike yet, still shopping around. Got most of my gear already though, so that's a start.
    Down in Melb, so you'll hopefully see me on a few cruises once i get a ride and bit of practice under my belt.

2. Let me be the first one to welcome you to NR. Good to hear you finally got your A into G.
    Enjoy the experience of finding the right first bike for you, figure out what you're roughly after, do you research and snap up a bargain.
  3. Thanks mate :)
    Yeah i've had a look at a few 250RRs (typical choice i suppose). Although I'm not most mechanically minded person around the first one was obviously a dud, didn't track straight and had visible damage all over one side including a crack in the exhaust. Didn't idle very well, and throttle response was pretty bad initially, but these improved after warming up.

Anyway got a few more questions in regards to a couple more bikes i had a look at recently, but i'll throw those up in the tech section.
  4. should have a look at a couple vtr 250's. they are a great bike to get your confidence up.
  5. +1 Get a VTR, goodness knows that these 20+ year old bangers were doing before someone painted them and wound the speedo back

oh, and welcome to Netrider (again) :)
  6. Lo from adelaide
  7. gday yoshii. i'm also in melb and an L plater. test rode the VTR250 this afternoon for my gf who got her l's monday... it's light, nimble, but incredibly boring... I'd never be happy with it and I'm suggesting to her to get something with a few more horses. Let us know how you go!
  8. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did consider looking at a newer bike, but the general concensus for the current 250r seems to be a scooter with fairings and even on paper it doesn't seem too appealing.
    VTRs don't really do it for me, and if i'll be keeping this for at the least 1.5 years then i'd want to get something i'd want to ride and/or not get sick of too quickly.
    Anyways, the search continues...