Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi All

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Arrack, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,

So I have been browsing netrider for a few months now. I have to say, it is such a friendly and helping community, and the information here, specially for noobs to learn is fantastic. (y)

Having been on a fair few performance car forums and I find NR to be a totally different experience.

Last May, due to not wanting to pay for parking fees and the long line of traffic from home to work every morning, I decided to buy myself a bike.

Google got me on to netrider.

I have had minimal experience with bikes.

So I started reading all the noob hints and tips section of this forum, how to take corners etc, to get the basic idea about what people have done and experienced.

Got through my L’s course at St Ives.

Didn’t ride to work much during my 3 months on L’s. Found it really hard getting used to the lifestyle. So just to get practice, I took it around the neighbourhood to understand the basics of cornering, breaking and slow speed riding after reading the noob tips on the forum numerous times and visualising them.

I m on the taller side, so GS500F was the only option I had when choosing a used bike. I still found that quite hard at the beginning, leg cramps, hard seat, butt cheeks going numb, changing gears properly, being in the right gear in corners, screaming around corners when they feel too fast :eek:hno: etc.

As soon as 3 months came by, I went for my P’s which was an awesome day out in St Ives

Since then, I have been commuting to work on most non rainy days. I m not ready to take on the rain yet.

The bike is a 09 model previously owned by a guy who kept it immaculate condition.

Since getting my P’s about a month or so ago, I ve been out an about in the blue whale more often and I m really really starting to enjoy it. Packing work clothes, remembering to put the helmet on before the gloves, remembering that there IS a choke lever are all becoming second nature now...hahah And the adrenalin rush after a nice ride is just awesome...and I don’t even speed (not that it s a wise idea) or lane filter yet! ....I still scream taking some corners though, specially downhill ones haha

Throughout this time, there were numerous times when I just wanted to sell it as it was a new lifestyle, but I m glad I stuck with it and get to some point where I can start enjoying it and building the confidence to ride the bike.

I m thinking a nice long ride just for the enjoyment of the bike should make the bike even better, but so far, I haven’t had the time for it.

Hope to see you all around and thanks for all the experienced riders (basic riding skills section of the forum) as well as the noobs (in the embarrassing things you ve done while you were a noob posts section) for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Helps put things in perspective.

2. Welcome to Netrider, Arrack! The GS is a awesome bike. :D
  3. Welcome to NR.
  4. Hello Arrack. Welcome along. Nice to have you.

It is a great resource for newer riders.

Embarrassing things don't just happen to newbies. I've been riding for 40 years and I still pedal along pretty quick when the opportunity presents, but I'm still discovering new and interesting ways to clutz myself up.
  5. G'day Arrack,
    One of the first things I did when I got off my L's was to go for a tour on my own.

Now I understand that being on your red P's will somehow limit the speed limit you can sit on but I found that by just getting on the bike and riding it for a whole week and go and visit place you haven't seen for a while and you'll come accross so many different conditions that will test your new found skills (or ones you haven't aquired yet ) that you will find a massive sense of acheivement every day you ride.
    My first tour was a round trip from Sydney to Scone Via the Putty Rd, then the Bundarra (Sth of Inverell) then to grafton, Newcastle then back to sydney and ran into 3 hail storms and lots of rain and mist...but I absolutely loved it!!
  6. Thanks for the welcome notes guys!

Brumby, Thats one hell of a ride around Sydney to get used to things. Hail storms...hell no!...but I do understand what you mean.

Plan is to do a early morning cruise witha few work mates on the old pac soon. Hopefully, without backpacks and added weight, I ll be able to get the corners thing worked out better.