Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi all, just getting on board

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by bepi16, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Hey all,

Bepi, from Melbourne, Inner North. Got my L's a few months ago,
    then time passed and I went to get my P's (restricted since I'm not on car P's)
    haven't been in the right place mentally or financially till now to come on board.
    Just started looking for a bike in the last few weeks and hope to have one organised in the next few.
    Still weighing up the options to go the small city commuter or something a bit sporty-er

I'll be round on the forums and hope to read up something to give me ideas.

Great little place you got here.

2. Just remembered, on a scary note, just last week while waiting for a bus on Hoddle st
    I saw a bike cruising down the bus lane, while passing a petrol station a truck and trailer
    turn into the station and seriously clean this guy up, bunndled him off the bike
    and the trailer goes over his legs, a crowd gathered immediatly, he wasn't knocked out
    but he was indicating to his legs and did not get up.

Not really the thing you want to see first thing in the morning, especially when looking to get into bikes for the first time.
  3. welcome bepi.

perhaps put some more details in your profile? good luck with finding a bike. perhaps one of the naked 250s would be a good combo of commuter and sports bike for you? couldnt be happier with my vtr...
  4. Finally, a development in the plot!

A couple of lazy searching weeks later i found and settled on a '98 Honda CB250.

I thought about the reasons I'm getting into riding, (another skill, work commuting and to find out if I like bikes) and figured that this would be a good way to go about it.

Get the bike friday, hope to run it by a mechanic and then we should be away.

Definatly starting to get pumped
  5. It gets you like that; welcome :).
  6. Hi Bepi
    Welcome to the mad world of motorbikes.
  7. Hi Bepi welcome to the world of forums, ride safe and have fun. Might see you around on some NR rides.
  8. Welcome to the forums... :grin:
  9. Hey welcome aboard bepi. Good choice for your first bike. Trust me you don't want to lash out to much cash for your first one, usually gets trashed and you loose money. With your riding, my advice is learn your enviroment first. Don't worry about cornering and all that jazz ( that comes later with better bikes and more experience ), learn the basic's like identifying hazards and avoiding accidents before you become part of them. Start to create a sixth sence inside were you start to see the accident before it happens. Above all limit your speed, closeness to other vehicle's and give yourself enough space to create a reaction time for your "learning" reflexs. And cancel your indicator. ( such a simple thing to forget with the greatest possibilty of an accident ). Seen so many riders with this disease. Both experienced and non! But most of all Enjoy Welcome to the land of the living!
  10. Welcome aboard! :)
  11. Thanks all for the welcome and tips.

I'm considering draging my push bike out of storage too to help brush up on watching the road from a riding perspective before chucking myself straight into traffic.

It would be nice to get to a NR noob ride some time, I'll keep my eyes open for the next Melb one.
  12. Hellow mate!! welcome... :)
  13. Bepi wrote:

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 pm Post subject:

Thanks all for the welcome and tips.

I'm considering draging my push bike out of storage too to help brush up on watching the road from a riding perspective before chucking myself straight into traffic.

Don't bother. Completely different kettle of fish. I ride my road bike (pushie) out on the open roads and hills and it's like the cars give way to you cause they feel sorry for you, having to pedal the thing. On a motorbike they have the attitude of he or she has death wish and you are all riding mobile coffins. Stay on the motorbike. Practise makes perfect! Get the feel of your bike and become one with it! Find a place where inside you are totally relaxed with what you are doing and get into a trance like meditational state to be able to deal with any obstacle's that may lay down in your path, such as life. Trust me, when you are coming into a left hand corner and you have to much speed coming in and you are starting to run wide cause it is starting to tighten up, the last thing you want to be is tense. You need to be relaxed in order to lay the bike over more and tighten up your turn and stay of the front brakes. Just don't be to relaxed, that you are going to fall asleep. be prepared for battle, but composed! Start to develop and trust in your perifial vision. The first thing you should master is braking in a quiet side street. being shit hot at braking could save your life! Practise on every surface in any condition and get a feel for the amount of pressure needed in all the different circumstances. Just don't brake on wet tram tracks or those wet metal man hole covers! But most of all enjoy, lifes to short. Welcome to the land of the living!
  14. Welcome Bepi! I wished that i had a VTR 250 when i had my Ps. It was THE bike to have. Hassle free and easy to ride. Welcome again!
  15. welcome mate ..
  16. welcome and good luck
  17. I finally get to go and pick up my bike from the shop and fork out for the roadworthy, a few bits and pieces replaced and a general service and I'm on the road.

Just cruising home take a down cambered(?) roundabout and the new front tire completely looses traction and the bike dissapears out from under me.

Just ended up with a little graze on the knee. I was wearing some type of cotton workpants, no hole, but with a proper jacket, gloves and helmet.

The only problem was that the bike continued to slide and went into the curb on the other side of the roundabout. I thought, yeah, it will only be another couple of scrapes and dents to add to the collection that the bike came with, I'll stand it up, have a slurpee (since it was just in front of a severs) and be on my merry way. But damnit I managed to bend a fork and get the wheel guard well and truly jammed, so I had to call the bike shop I had only just left and get them to retrive the bike and take it back for round two.

I really didn't think that I would be earning my stripes that quickly, I think I was riding maybe 5 min.

Aw well, live and learn.
  18. thats dammed unlucky, are they new tyres. alot of the guys tend to sandpaper the shine of them so there not as slippery save scrubing them in the hard way :mad: