Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi all, just bought my first bike

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by C_west, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Hello everyone,

Im a long time lurker, first time poster on this site. This is a great site with so much information and knowledge on here. On sunday I just bought my first bike, its a 1997 kawasaki ER-5 and I picked it up for $1800. its got a few scratches and scuffs, but being my first bike Im just as likely to add those scratches. There are a few minor problems that I have to fix up (like stripping that ugly red paint off that muffler!) but I dont have my learners course until 22SEP07 so I have a few weekends to fix stuff up. Mechanically its fine and ran beautifully all the way back from Sydney to Wagga with my mate riding it and he said it went fine with plenty of usable power down low for a learner, and was very easy to ride. Considering I had a budget of $4500 for bike and gear, looks like I can get some nice gear now! will get some pics up once I have 5 posts
  2. Welcome, sounds like a cheap learner bike, well done.

Just make sure you fix anything safety related, like fork seals leaks etc that may need doing
  3. there is no excess oil on the forks, so they should be fine. However, I do have to fix up the instrument lights and the brake light (!) its an easy job though, some clown forgot to tape up the wires properly and they melted in some areas :?
  4. Congrats C_west :grin:

Yeah, good advice from Tweet... Check all the brakes, forks and tyres. Hope ya have have heaps of fun fixing her up and riding - when you get your licence :wink:
  5. Welcome to NR.. Enjoy your stay. :grin:
  6. Welcome, C! Sounds like you'll be able to just focus on learning how to ride, rather than worrying about keeping it spic and span :) Let us know how you go with your Ls.
  7. Welcome to Net Rider. Please show us some pics of yuor new bike.
  8. Good luck fixing her up, sounds like a bit of a bargain to me.

btw theres no way i could last 3 weeks with a bike in the shed and not ride it
  9. Yea I may have to take her for a quick ride to make sure everything is ok . . .

FUTURE: yea Ill post some up once I have the required post count ;)
  10. nice work,
    i've also been lurking around but now i'm booked in for the 10 of sept. Gotta find a bike for my brother and me to ride as were both going for our L's.
    Good luck with the fixing up