Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heya from Sunny Coast

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ozskipper, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hey everyone....

Been lurking around for awhile, just reading through the forums - less creepy than it sounds :)

Anyways, thought I should say hi and introduce myself - I live up on the Sunshine Coast, been fully licensed for 20-odd years but I haven't ridden for around 12 years mostly due to a combination of living abroad and moving around Australia with work.

Thinking of getting back onto the saddle, but feel like I need to start all over again to rebuild confidence and more importantly, skills.

If I can convince the financial controller (the other half) to release funds, I'm quite keen on the BMW G650GS Sertao or the Kawasaki KLR650. I don't think I was ever the most confident of riders, so I'm more keen on a predictable / sedate ride (not sure if that's the right way to describe what I mean) that I can commute and maybe get off road with.

I'd be curious to see what the more experience riders think about what type of "return to riding" course I could do. I was thinking of doing the Learners course again, but have also considered maybe 1-on-1 course.....

2. Welcome aboard , when I returned I did a half day return to riding course then the full day learners but I never held my bike license. Id look out for a similar return to riding down your way then see what to do after that
  3. Welcome to Nutrider!
  4. Welcome !
  5. Welcome to NR
  6. Welcome mate! I bet the weather is nice up where you are, woke up with a frost here this morning :/ Good luck with the ball and chain :D
  7. Ha! Yes, best negotiating skills are being warmed up..... The weather is very nice at the moment :)

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the return to riding tips!
  8. Hi mate and welcome.
    There is a couple of us from your local area on here.

Regarding the financial controller, I find it is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

FWIW I bought a new bike last week. The wife found out the day after the bike was in the garage, so I speak from first hand experience. LOL
  9. There's not much choice on the coast for lessons on returning to riding. Most will stick you in a day 2 or 3 beginners course.
    People are starting to learn how a bike works and ride them appropriately .... So you need about thirty minutes on how a bike works and where to stay out of trouble before hitting the road.
    Schools charge about $200 - $300 for the day, which in my opinion should be subsidized or made tax deductible. Some of us instructors will take punters like you out on our day off for thirty five an hour ..... plus you buy lunch :)
  10. #10 ozskipper, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
    Hey Bretto

You are not wrong about limited options - I've made a few enquiries and I've mostly been suggested the Q-Ride course. It may actually be the best bet, but I guess something a bit more personalised would be more appropriate.

When you say that some instructors will take you out on days off, I assume you need to have your own wheels. I guess my biggest challenge is a lack of wheels at the moment - so do you train before you have your wheels or train after you get your wheels?

$35 ph is very reasonable :)

LOL I like this idea in theory - sadly, I suspect my testes may have some aversion to being removed......

11. You will need everything ,,,,, basically you are just coming along for a ride....per say :) Public liability is the biggy.
    Using their bikes your still up for a $2,500 excess... and most aren't worth half that after a year of noobs on them.

You can start refocusing now whilst driving your car.... Just think like your on a bike and very vulnerable. Start using your eyes a lot more. Braking points, turn in points and where you want to come out of a corner. In the beginning your visual markers should be about the size of a baseball, then as you progress you will find the more focused you are, the smaller your markers will be.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. As the title suggests, just wanted to extend a huge shout out to Bretto who patiently gave up his time to give me some tips and instruction on the weekend on motorcycling as opposed my motor wobbling!

Top fella and I'm feeling more confident on the bike now ;)