Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by trainingwheels, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I'm a newbie - so new in fact, I don't even have a bike yet! I'm looking at learning to ride and getting a bike and figured there'd be plenty of useful info here to help me out.

On the subject of bikes, I like the cruiser style, and was looking at either the Virago 250 (Yamaha) or the Intruder 250 (Suzuki) - leaning more toward the Suzuki, but keen to hear other forum users' experiences.

2. I believe honda and hyosung also have small capacity cruisers, just FYI. And welcome!

Personally, having seen the yamaha xvs 250, i love it. I'm not even a cruiser person (plan a vtr 250 or ninja) but, there you go. Note : apparently some of the 650 cruiser yam's are LAMS approved, but depends on what state your in.
  3. Hey TW, welcome to NR! :grin:

Depending on your suburb, I can highly recommend "Motorcycle Motion" in Keys Rd, Moorabbin for L's and/or P's :grin:

As to which bike? There's plenty of "Which bike?" threads here in NR for you to start your research with :grin:
  4. Go and sit and see how they feel .. that xvs650 is 229kg whereas the 250 is something like 137kg... just one aspect of the decision though.
  5. Hey

Honda has recently introduced a LAMS approved 400cc cruiser. Looks exactly like it's big sister - the 750.
    Best to have a good look around and talk to plenty of people before you buy. Another consideration is that, if you are going to buy new, you will need to have the bike serviced at a dealership to keep the warranty valid, so good to choose a make with a dealer within reasonable distance of your base.
    Whatever you buy enjoy it and enjoy the NR bunch of idiots :LOL: Above all else - Ride safe!
  6. Hi and welcome to NR.

Lots of people here started on 250 cruisers and moved up. There should be loads of experience to draw on.

Enjoy the excitement of choosing a bike.