Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Hey old farts, stop crashing.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Chef, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ....you're giving the rest of us a bad name.

Sauce... http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....dleaged-bikies-riding-for-a-fall/2122241.aspx

2. In 14 months, I will be out of that bracket, Walking for the next 6 months cuts it down to 8 months,
    So Will I be safe after that, Hahahahahaha

3. We actually pay taxpayers money to this organisation!

A 50% increase in injuries over an eight year period - but there's been a 90% increase in overall registrations over the same period. This doesn't suggest that there's a worsening problem.

4. AAAARRRRRHHHHHH,, But he got his name in the paper,

5. I personally witnessed the source of this increasing problem yesterday. Stopped at Noojee for lunch and while I was quietly enjoying my burger, a group of moderate Harley owners pull in. Whilst attempting to park their glorious gleaming steeds, not 1, not 2, but 3 (3!) of them fell over with their shiny boat anchors right there in front of the pub. One of which was the orange arm-band emblazoned road captain no less.

Besides that, TonyE you make a very good point.

6. I though the discussion was about motorcycles... **
    :bolt:

** some opportunites just can't be resisted! :)

7. Oh why wasn't I there to see that...:grin:

8. Passed a squad of Harleys coming out of Swifts Creek a while ago. If you know the road it's a bit unforgiving. Sitting at the T junction servo at Bruthen for half an hour and they still hadn't come by. Hmmm. Ambo soon seen tearing off up that road.

It did make me wonder what the stats would be like if we broke them down by brand, or at least style of bike.

We already know (I think) that regular commuters (ie. frequent riders) fare better than the weekend warriors, and many older blokes are irregular, at best.

9. I need to come out riding with you Punzy, you get to have all the fun.

p.s. note the tags

10. Is this guy for real?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a decent 250, something like a GPX250, out accelerate the average family sedan? I'm no expert, but I'm sure a 1950's triumph was somewhat quicker than the average 1950's car.

Basically I think he's saying "motorcycles are quicker than cars, just like they were in the 50's and 60's, nothing has changed".

11. AMCN's Boris is forever getting stuck into this class of rider. Me personally, as I age (and I hope to continue to do so for some time, yet) I'm finding that I'd love to step down a kilogram or two, not to "upgrade" to a 300 odd kilogram monster.

I dropped my Blackbird a while ago in the carport at work (no, I won't go into why it happened). Suffice it to say, it was a struggle for me to pick it up. God knows how these people go if their Lead Wings or Harley Road Queens fall over...

Maybe that's why they travel in packs, perhaps - they have the labor available to haul one of these things upright.

12. Ha

I too had a chuckle when reading "The power and acceleration now makes some like cars".
    Would have thought most from 250 up have always had acceleration like or well above cars....
    Older bikes were slower but so were older cars....

Oh well..

13. Prunes help.

14. I was so tempted but I thought I'd leave it for someone else to say...

But I really expected it to be hornet :)

15. You're absolutely correct - and the margin between bikes and cars was even greater then.

But what I think he's trying to say is that because you could manage an old Trumpy don't think you can manage a modern bike with far superior performance. He's just not very good at expressing himself - which is to be expected if you're called "stammers".

16. If they fall over, they usually have those big hard luggage, or extra wide and low pegs/boards that the bike is normally only over 20 degrees from 90

17. It took them eight years to come up with that ???
    Going through my old crap now and I know we had the same information back in 2005. Will scan and post it when I find it. Just another huge waste of money from people trying to justify their position and wages.
    And what we learned back then was it was not so much the power or acceleration. It was the brakes. And the peoples inability to use them properly in a accident situation.
    Even I say we cant out brake a car to my students. Well that's not really true. A good rider on a modern sports bike can pull 1G in braking. GP riders pull 1.2 and more constantly in braking.
    I was never one for ABS on a bike. And personally would not have it. But for some it really is needed.
    PS I'm old and I like to crash. Specially on shop bikes :)

18. [QUOTE="RapunzeL]Whilst attempting to park their glorious gleaming steeds, not 1, not 2, but 3 (3!) of them fell over with their shiny boat anchors right there in front of the pub. One of which was the orange arm-band emblazoned road captain no less.
    [/QUOTE]

I was in Gloucester NSW some years ago and a group of young turks on Ducatis of various configurations, matching-leathers and all, blasted past my group at stupid speed. When we reached the town there was not one, but FIVE of them lying down in the gutter, one of them leaking copious quantities of oil into the bargain :LOL:

this proves, what???

19. Ducati side stands are shyte??????

20. Ducati have badly designed side-stands? :-s

edit: Beaten to it by b12mick by a matter of seconds!