Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey! (NSW)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Clandestine, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I've been looking for information and tips for the last 6 months or so and NR came up with the information almost every time, so I thought I should finally sign up and introduce myself.

I'm 26, a software developer (web tech) and based in the inner west of Sydney. I've only been riding for the past 2-3 months on my little Honda VTR250, and so far it has been great.

I only moved up to NSW from Tasmania about a year ago for work, and unfortunately haven't gotten out of the city/suburbs much at all. Now I'm missing the twisty tassie roads, so I'm in need of some good riding roads close by if anyone has suggestions!

I've been pretty motivated to learn as much as possible about driving in the past and am trying to apply this to my riding now. To try and get this started I've read Sport-riding Techniques (by Nick Lenatsch) and bought A Twist of The Wrist to read through, and I'm looking to book into a HART training course as soon as possible. My parents both rode when they were younger and lost enough friends to motorbikes that if I'm going to do this it's going to be armed with as much information/training as possible :)

I own a track-only R32 Skyline back in tassie and try to get back to Baskerville raceway as often as possible for some more seat time, not as often as I'd like recently though! I'd love to cruise the VTR around the track at some point before any bad habits cement themselves, but this is a pretty daunting step as all my motorbike friends are based in Tasmania at this point!

If anyone is keen for a ride or catchup drop me a message/reply, would be great to meet some fellow riders!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Jay,

Welcome to NR!

Unfortunately there aren't any good roads close by to the inner west/city, but a quick dash to RNP or Putty Rd isn't too bad.

Come out to Homebush to hone your skills and there is usually a group ride out to Windsor afterwards.

You'll be able to meet a lot of fellow riders there!
  3. Hey Justin,

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty terrible with different areas in NSW but I'm slowly working it out. I saw a few threads earlier about Putty Rd but have next to no idea about where/what RNP is?

I've been out to Sydney Olympic Park a couple of times recently to get away from traffic lights and practice slow manoeuvres in the empty car parks (assuming this is what you mean by Homebush?) and I just looked up Windsor as I hadn't actually heard of it, but the road doesn't look overly interesting?

I'll try to find some more information about Windsor and RNP in the forums ;)

Thanks again for the information, this place seems to be full of friendly people with good advice (which is hard to find at times). I might have to stick around.

4. Royal National Park.. probably should have guessed that one! Was planning to go on a trip down there over the next couple of weeks, just need to work out when I can get away :)
  5. Welcome to NR, check the rides threads and do as many of the newbie rides as you can!(y)
  6. Nothing is really close in Sydney but here's some to look at :
    North -
    Ku-Ring-Gai Chase Rd , McCarrs Creek Rd , West Head Rd ( all in/around Ku-Ring-Gai Chase NP)

Old Pacific Hwy (also known as the Old Rd) starts just north of Berowra and runs to bit beyond Calga (near Gosford)

Berowra - Berowra Waters - Arcadia - Galston - Galston Gorge - Hornsby .

From Calga on the Old Pacific Hwy take the Peats Ridge - Central Mangrove Rd then take the Wisemans Ferry Rd which follows the Hawkesbury River .

West :
    Bells Line of Road from Richmond to Lithgow
    Putty Rd (Windsor to Singleton) as already mentioned .
    Further out - Jenolan Caves run

South :
    RNP as mentioned
    Bulli Pass just south of RNP near Thirroul
    Macquarrie Pass (Illawarra Hwy) - bypass Wollongong , turn off via Albion Park . Head up to Robertson to the famous bakery there .
    In that area also check out the back roads around Jamberoo across to Kiama , Kangaroo Valley then back up through the Southern Highlands via Moss Vale , Mittagong etc .

Plenty more rides further out .
  7. Welcome along, Jay.

I'm also based in the inner west (or south city depending on who you ask).
    I often head to the Royal National Park on the weekends. It's handy to get to... about 40 minutes if the traffic is okay.
    Let me know if you'd like some company or help with the directions.

At Homebush, check out the weekly practice session for learner skills ...

It's a great place to work on the slow moves, meet others and perhaps join a ride. There are some interesting back roads around Windsor. Chris (OzYoda) has all the local knowledge.

8. Thanks guys, that's enough rides to keep me busy for a while!

I actually hadn't heard about the weekly practice session for learner skills at all, thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out in the next week or two :) I'm based in Stanmore so it's only a 20 minute ride or so to get out to Olympic Park.

I'm always keen for a ride and will probably be heading out tonight if I'm not too tired (at the airport now, getting on a plane back to Sydney shortly) and I might head south for a change.

Thanks again for the hints and tips guys, much appreciated :)

9. welcome to an awesome site!

Stay away from Royal National Park (Nato) if you plan to ride with any exuberance as there's always HWP up there, except after sundown, then you have wildlife & the occasional twin turbo v8 merc to deal with
  10. Thanks mate, I think my exuberant riding would likely be quite within the speed limit at the moment. I went out with a ride with Justin last night, not even remotely sure where we went but some damned good riding for the inner west!

I haven't had to deal with night time wildlife yet luckily, just drunk teenagers every now and again. Hopefully I can avoid late rides in the country for a while longer yet :cautious:
  11. Welcome. Haven't ridden in Sydney, but I lived at Windsor 20 years ago, and it would be a great starting point for some terrific rides through the blue mountains, I remember enjoying the back road to Springwood in my cage!
  12. Hey guys, it's been just over two weeks since I first posted this. Since then I've been to two training sessions at homebush and feel heaps better on the bike at slow speeds, and have done a RNP run with fin mental and a run around balmain and the inner west suburbs with Justin.

Thought I should drop back in quickly to say 'thank you' to everyone for the comments, training sessions and especially those who got in contact for to go for a ride.

So, Thanks guys!

13. You're very welcome.
    And when that rain takes a break, gimme a shout.