Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey Noobs: becoming a better rider takes conscious effort

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MV, Apr 13, 2012.

• Like Like x 4
  1. Yeah, same reason I suck at guitar after 10 years of playing, I don't push my limits and only play safe songs I know I can pick up easy.
  2. Yeah, me too :)

One day...

Being bad at guitar is not likely to kill me, however.
  3. Was just doing this yesterday. Low speed manoeuvring, braking, and learning to keep the front end down on 1st gear launches :D
  4. Depends on the audience.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This is very true for just about everything in life. You could have all the potential in the world but without the discipline and hard work you won't get as far as you could.

Underachiever: lots of potential, no discipline

Overachiever: lots of discipline, not a lot of potential

What I'll take away from this article is: Stop talking about riding and this and that, go out there and ride.

Pick your favourite road that is appropriate for your level and keep looping it. Starting slow, working on your weaknesses, and building pace. Looping a section of road takes away the element of surprise because you know what's ahead.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Although I always scoffed with a line about how I learnt to ride by riding, one of the biggest leaps came for me from watching the Twist of the Wrist II film, which gave me a head full of good theory to understanding what I was doing badly. I still never practice anything, but my riding became much better from recognising what not to do every time I do it since then. The key is knowing how to ride smoothly. Like a mutha...

That's certainly true of braking on a Royal Enfield!

In a straight line.

At slow speed.
  7. So, Matt, have you had to reinforce the stitching in your gear to compensate for the vibrations???

j/k, the Royal Enfield is YOUR bike, I could have predicted that!

en passant, I read yesterday that Carberry Motorcycles has gone bust; no more custom V-Twins, and who's going to support the existing (small) scustomer-base?
  8. I tell you what, Paul, I can well understand now how so many riders of old Brit bikes went crazy for big Japanese I4s. I never could understand before. I wouldn't have an I4 again, but then the Bullet is a spare, fun, bike that comes out when the W is not needed. But our forefathers had no option but to ride a Bullet. And they went on about the wonderful smooth ride it, with its ground-breaking rear suspension, offered. Literally, my vision goes blurry sometimes. I fear my retinas might come loose.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You're joking? Damn, I would've liked to have owned one of those one day.
  10. I heard the same thing about Carberry yesterday. Apparently it had to do with the costs of passing regulations, with a frame-cut bike. That could be wrong information.

Don't worry, there might be a bright RE twinned future (might be) http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motor...cycle-600cc-1000cc-india-retro-3-years-57760/

Apparently a number of the old RE twin motors bolt in, or at least fit in, the Bullet's frame. So they just have to build an engine, the rest is already done. And with the unit construction engine (the UCE) they've now proven that they can do serious innovation. I have a lot of faith in, and am really excited about, the future of RE. Forget the Chinese or Koreans, RE are the one to watch out of Asia. The UCE has proven it. I don't know if I could give up the W650, but I would be sorely tempted.
  11. OK so maybe I shouldn't say "stop talking about riding and just ride". Yeah I agree that would be wrong. What I meant to say is if you only TALK about riding techniques, roadcraft, etc, you'll only become good at TALKING about it.
  12. I wasn't disagreeing with you, per se, and as a rhetorical point I often say the same thing about riding and many other things. I agree with you. The point is: Stop over-thinking it, and just do it. Ride! Then reflect on what you've done (reflection includes reading, talking) and find a way to have that insight change what you do. In many areas in life people become obsessed with the theory. I got into biking because I love doing, not practicing, it. When I was young I was a professional drummer for a few years. I came from the country where I learnt to play by playing along to records, and very quickly got plenty of interest from musicians to work with them. And I looked around and saw all these other drummers (and many other musicians) who had had all these opportunities to play with others which I had lacked, and yet who were great technicians but had absolutely no feel for a song, for music. Feeling comes first. It's the same in riding, where 'doing' is perhaps the better word. Theory is a helpful after-thought.
  13. Twist of the wrist should be a must read.
    Focus on the zen of riding.
    I had a surprise with some gravel hidden behind a crest on the way to work one morning a bit over a week ago. I have an awesome route with slow technical turns, this was the s bend over a raised train line. Scary to describe, but I will take my practice where I can find it.
    I didn't think I was to shakes from a small front end wash, but for over a week I was second guessing every turn even with clear vision. I didn't even enjoy a weekend blast.
    So I reread some chapters.
    Concentrate on what you are doing, not what your not doing.
    Everything feels better now. Making a personal challenge out of every stretch of road regardless how small.
    Eg, today I will not look at my speedo before any turns, I know how fast I am going and how fast I need to go, I need to break that bad habit.
  14. If the TAC handed every rider a cope of the book and DVD, they could dispense with their telly Ads (assuming the purpose of those ads really is to simply encourage safe riding, and not dissuade potential motorcyclists), and save themselves a heap of money in that process, and really lesson the number of 'claims'. But such ideas might involve really listening to motorcyclists. It would also mean the TAC giving up a part of their addiction to the B-grade gore film-making.

(To be fair, I have nothing but praise for their Ride Smart DVD initiative)