Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey musio's; Flutes?? Know anything?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by brownyy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Need to buy a flute as a special present for someone. I know jack shit about musical instruments. No she doesn't go to band camp.

All I can gather is, the Solid Silver ones are better? Is there different types of flute? Alto? Normal? Buttons? Length?

Who are the good manufactures?

Any advice would be greatly appricated, so I can start researching this stuff. Got a few months before I have to buy, and would like to get a rather nice one.

Edit; quick walk down to the corner music shop; £250-£1200 ($320-$1800 AUD) I'm looking at, farrrkkkkkk. That sound right?

2. Get them a few some lessons with some flute guru -- if flute players are anything like other muso's they'd like to play an instrument before owning it and may be hankering after something really random (like a valve pre-amp for their condensor flute mic). Lessons will stick with them for life.
  3. believe it or not the price is about right.

Although I was more focused on Clarinets and sax-a-ma-phones(lol Simpsons). The sound quality from the more (really)expensive to standard flutes(i.e. that schools buy) is really only beneficial to someone who is really switched on to it. I have done some orchestral work in my youth.

Yamaha do consistent good quality work.

Are you getting it for someone who can play?
    Or someone who is learning?
    Or someone who is average or not?
  4. I bought my missus a second hand flute for $200AUS a number of years back - those things ain't cheap. No idea if it's the Band Camp Influence or not ...
  5. Well, I got the missus a 'pink oboe' and she won't play the bloody thing!

That sucks (or rather, doesn't)!
  6. If they play the flute they are going to do a whole lot better job at buying a flute than you are. An expensive one may not 'fit' the player and there is a lot of individuality. Buy a $5 plastic recorder, or an empty flute box and let them decide on the flute. It would be like buying someone a motorcycle helmet. No its not as cool as them actually opening the flute but you will get just as much good present sex.
  7. By the way the range you quoted is entry level items. My cousin's clarinet is worth 5 figures.
  8. These are good questions which will determine what you go for.

The second flute that I owned I bought myself about 9 years ago for $1,600. Gave myself a budget of $2k and after playing a few different ones it suited me best. Can't remember what brand (will have to check tonight).

More "professional" flutes come with holes in the keys, and you can get slightly longer ones with an extra key on the end to give it wider range. Both of these are unnecessary (and almost harder to learn on) for a newbie/untrained ear. (My $1600 didn't have either and suited me fine for my use...ended up playing for 8 years in total).

You would find some decent quality second hand ones at a bargain price from people who had great intentions to start learning, but found they left the flutes on the shelf untouched for years.
    Soak the mouthpiece in a solution to thoroughly clean it, give the whole thing a polish, make sure the pads aren't sticky and voi-la! "New" shiny flute!

Good luck with it buddy... the recommendation for some lessons along with it are a great idea... wouldn't want the gift to be like the guitar I had... sitting hardly touched for 8 months whilst I waited for the perfect time to find a decent teacher... ](*,)
  9. Thanks for the replies all.

Probably should of set the scene. My missus had a nice flute when she was a school kid and she loved it because her parents forked out for it - she is one of six and all kids got a musical instrument.

Then some fuka at her school stole it - from the locked music cabinate that the teachers were only meant to have the keys to. She never played again as her parents couldn't afford it.

So I was just trying to get her something she may wish to play again some day. She tries to sing to music, like, in a serious female way, and she's shit, so I'm hoping the flute gives her a musical outlet.

I did consider the opition of been able to return it incase she can't play that type or wants a different one or plain doesn't want it. It's for her 30th by the way.

Unsure of her skill level when she left school - trying to contact her closest brother and find out.

Yamaha I'll look into, any others? Any types of 'common' models or standard ones I should search for??

thanks all!
  10. Harden her up and buy her a drum Kit,and if u ask nicely i may even give her some lessons.Or if drums are out then a Bass guitar is also a good option.Reason being is good drummers and bass guitarists are always in demand,this will help if she wants to go further into the music scene.A flute is an add on instrument.
  11. I have three kids who play musical instruments, though none play the flute. Two of them have Yamaha instruments (euphonium bought by us for the oldest; trombone provided by the school for the youngest). Yamaha have a good reputation for quality instruments that have a good sound at the beginner levels and are reliable to keep the right sound. I had a quick look at beginner Yamaha flutes and the 200 series for beginners are $600-$800, depending on the model and the seller. My kids have done the Australian Music Examination Board (AME8) music exams and if you know that system, the beginner instruments are fine for the first 3-4 grades or so. If for serious players who keep going up in grades, they'll want an intermediate instrument and with flutes, you're looking at $1200-$1900 for intermediate.

Lessons are a great idea, and maybe consider looking into her joining a local community band. This provides a reason to keep practicing and playing. Around here the one-on-one music lessons are 30 mins for beginners and 45 mins for intermediate and cost roughly $1 per minute.

Music isn't a cheap option.....