Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey! Im new to your site and about to buy my first bike!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by DZOG21, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Hi all im DJ from sydney and I stumbled across your website about 7 hours ago and whoa... Im learning. Thank you all for putting your time into this free source of vital riding info. Besides that I have a problem or few.

Iv never owned or piloted a motorcycle before although im good on a pushy.
    Im around 6"3 close enough and roughly 80-90 kilograms, long legs you know im a tall skinny bloke.

Iv come across a bike list for short riders but have yet to find a list reccomended for larger men. If any of you could give me a few examples of bigger framed 250cc road bikes and a brief on the common history of them that would be excellent for me as I feel like a hungry man in david jones with the lights off.

My budget for my first bike will be around the $5000 mark and I aspire to have quality gear which im also in the fog about in regards to brands, best styles for a large framed skinny bloke etc.

In otherwords Id really love a quick run down on what I need to know about the gear even some shops you may reccomend to me.

And for the bikes Iv had a CBR250RR in the back of my mind aswell as the APRILIA125, but somthings telling me theres my perfect option just waiting for me because I have not found it yet.

So all help will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks guys.

DJ

2. Welcome DJ - I personally don't know a lot about what bike may suit your height, however, i have seen several posts on the same subject in my time reviewing the forums. I am sure you will get a response, but try a little more searching as well.

3. You'd be all over a 125 like a badly-fitting suit, DJ! You probably should be looking at one of the larger 250 naked (unfaired) bikes, maybe a 250 Honda Hornet. These were not imported here by Honda but there are a lot of what we call 'grey market' examples around; check bikesales.com.au, for example.
    The other direction you could take is to look at an older 650 in the LAMS list, (here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html ), something like a Kawasaki Z500 or Z650 you should be able to pick up cheap, and they are full-sized normal bikes.... Keep an eye out for a Typhoon (his nick) on this forum; he'll be able to tell you lots about this route to rdiing..

Oh, and welcome to the friendly forum

4. Hey DJ !
    Im about the same size as you and I have a ZZR250, its perfect for my height. I too struggled with the sports bikes as they were just too damn small for me !

5. +1 paulm

i'm 6'2 and own a zzr250... good way to go i reckon... comfortable ride for me... but best bet for you is to ride a few bikes to see how You feel on them.... as for gear.... i have Joe Rocket 'razor' textile suit.... i found it fit me perfectly... being skinny as well found it hard to get right length pants :p but this suit was great for me and came in at $399.... check out Joe Rocket website to see who stocks near you to try on.... and also ask for the free armour upgrade ;)

6. Hi DJ, I'm a tall bloke looking for my first bike too. I've been looking at Naked bikes, Honda VRT250, Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha Zeal, to name a few. All these have a more relaxed riding posture so you won't be as cramped.

If you like faired bikes more, check out the Kawasaki ZZR as mentioned and also the Suzuki GSX250F Across. As these are "Sports tourers" once again the riding position isn't so tight.

However, don't rule out some of the smaller bikes too quickly. I've had a few more experienced people say that to own a sports bike you need very good posture, so it might just come down to practise and getting used to it as well. I'm not sure if I agree with this 100% because I've had trouble with small bikes (CBR250) too, but it's a good point of view.

7. Instead of starting a new thread i'd thought i'd ask a few questions in here. I've been reading heaps without posting, but i might as well get it outta the way :p

Firstly i'm 6"4 and bout 110kgs! and looking for my first bike so would love some recommendations, also i've never riden before, so was wonder what is the best course of action to take in regards to learning to ride before i go for my learners?

EDIT:
    - Budget of around $5,000 for bike and gear, etc
    - I'm located in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne (in regards to location of training providers)

Cheers Mav

8. same sort of answer for you really Maverick !

I had never ridden before either but was so intent on getting a bike that i went and bought all of my gear and a bike before i did my L's !!!!!!

I have a good mate whos been riding for years who took me on the back of my bike to an off-street location so i could have a practice before my L's just to get used to the bike a little ! That worked great for me !

Also, a good thing to do is just go to a few bike shops and try out a few bikes for size.
    As i said, the ZZR is great cause its a sports/tourer so is very comfortable and for a larger person its a good size, a lot of the sports bikes can be quite low and not have a great posture for your legs down to the brake/gearshift etc. ie. i tried a Yamaha FZR and found that my legs were just really scrunched up when i had my feet on the pegs !

But my best advice for this is just to get out there and try a few out in the shops, as soon as you find one that you feel really comfortable on then youre half way there !!!

9. Welcome guys! DZOG21, I used to own a JR razor suit too. They're very versatile - I'd recommend it.

Mav, HART (Honda Training) do a free Try-It session in Kilsyth. It goes for about 2 hours. They teach you the basics of what levers are what, etc & get you riding around in 1st gear... just gives you a feel for if you'd like to go further and pay for your Ls at a later point. I did that then the 2-day Ls to give me full training coz I'd never ridden before either.

10. Welcome, Maverick!!!

A lot of the above is also applicable to you, and I'm sure one or two of our helpful Melbourne Netriders would be able to assist you too....

11. Welcome guys.

I would go along to a coffee night sydney or melbourne ect and see what the other learners have got ,and check out their bikes and see what you can get for the price ,maybe some might let you sit on their bike ,much better with out a salemen standing over you shoulder ,telling you that this bike is the best for you ,just to get a sale.
    I hated walking into bike shops and asking it i could sit on bikes ,"at first" now its ok.
    And i also started riding in summer I brought a $500 leather jacket ,only ride it it twice ,as it was toooo hot ,and got a mesh summer jacket ,"maybe" some thing to consider.

Big guys in NSW should look at the suzuki GS500 naked ,or GS500F ,and see one in the flesh , the internet pictures don't really look good .

12. Welcome guys.

I would go along to a coffee night sydney or melbourne ect and see what the other learners have got ,and check out their bikes and see what you can get for the price ,maybe some might let you sit on their bike ,much better with out a salemen standing over you shoulder ,telling you that this bike is the best for you ,just to get a sale.
    I hated walking into bike shops and asking it i could sit on bikes ,"at first" now its ok.
    And i also started riding in summer I brought a $500 leather jacket ,only ride it it twice ,as it was toooo hot ,and got a mesh summer jacket ,"maybe" some thing to consider.

Big guys in NSW should look at the suzuki GS500 naked ,or GS500F ,and see one in the flesh , the internet pictures don't really look good .

13. Thanks heaps for the replies everyone, really helpful and informative. Will definately look into the HART training pinkxie, will definately be sitting on a few bikes in the coming weeks, wish my cousin still had his CBR250RR that i could prac on....he has an R1 now and i ain't touching that!

14. Iam 6'2 and my cbr250rr is fine.

15. im 6'1 and fit the mito pretty well. both feet on the ground piece of cake. in fact i wouldnt have it any other way when your learning. being a lot bigger than your bike, i think, gives you better control. of course not too big for the bike cause that will decrease on control as well.

see where im going with this? hope so...

brendan

16. im 6'1 and fit the mito pretty well. both feet on the ground piece of cake. in fact i wouldnt have it any other way when your learning. being a lot bigger than your bike, i think, gives you better control. of course not too big for the bike cause that will decrease on control as well.

brendan

17. im 6'1 and fit the mito pretty well. both feet on the ground piece of cake. in fact i wouldnt have it any other way when your learning. being a lot bigger than your bike, i think, gives you better control. of course not too big for the bike cause that will decrease on control as well.

brendan

18. Hey its DJ again im back and have recieved all the replys. Thank you all much appreciated.

Im well on the road to getting my bike. My currency is steady rising closer to the home run.

Looks like im going to need 10,000 to have what I want including gear.

Thinking about the ZZR And the ELIMINATOR cruiser style long wheel base 250. That Eliminator bike is hot i think.
    Theres a nice one on bikesales right now near me for 6,500 with the side bags n stuff nice silver colour how id love one of those. Think i will go for one of those for my first bike instead of a racer though I dont know what will happen.
    Il let you guys know when Its all going on and we should go for a ride somewhere.

Thanks all
    DJ

19. Not a EL250 but a VN250 Infact.

Id like some more info on this bike, do any of you guys know anything about it? Iv looked for recources related to it but havnt found much unfortunatley.

Many thanks
    DJ

20. I am same height n' weight.
    Perfect fit for me is the VTR250.
    Sit on one and see.
    CB250's r fine too but the VTR has a better rake to it and your pegs are set back alot further.

Also re riding gear and all that you can do it all cheap - and I mean good stuff. Just shop around. PM me for some tips if u like.

Personally I had same budget as you, and after more and more research (and I rode several bikes including 250RR's etc) I knew I needed the Vtwin250. But resale is so good on the things that for 6500 you are still getting something a few years old at times! So I ended up buying new on finance. Got a mad deal on that and got the latest 06' matt black finish. I would still reccomend a super cheap dunger tho' for your L's and then get a VTR once on ur P's. (I bought a CB250 for $1300 that still goes great!)