Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey, I'm a complete and utter newbie

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by YAL14H, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

my names Tom, i'm 17, from sydneys northern beaches, and I'm just getting into bikes.

In all honesty I know next to fcuk-all about bikes, and realistically it's gonna be a few years before I'm riding, but I joined because I want to learn as much as I can before it's time to actually buy a bike and start riding.

Anyway, I'm just warning you that I may ask some extremely obvious questions in the near future, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

See you at the motorcycle show this weekend!
  2. Hey dude, welcome :D

How come you reckon its gonna be a few years before your riding?
  3. Hey YAL14H, welcome to the place where obvious questions are welcome, and so are the people that ask them. If you can't find the answers here, the question hasn't been invented yet.

If you have a specific question, use the 'search' link above, you may find a thread about it already!!
  4. Welcome Tom! There are a lot of people on this forum that really know their sh!t, so you've picked a good place to hang around and learn from.

5. Welcome Tom.
    Stay safe and have fun

6. Thanks guys.

It's gonna be a few years before I can ride because my car takes up more money than I earn right now (I'm a student). So in a few years when I have a full time job, saving up for a bike will be the first thing I do.

I'd also just like to add that I'm a part of various car forums (commodores, rotaries, 4s etc), and even though I've only been browsing this site for a few days, it seems like a much, much more accepting and friendly community. You guys are tops!
  7. Welcome aboard, the above is dangerously close to sensible......careful. :)
  8. Yeah i can understand that... who knows though you might be able to pick up something cheap to have a bit of fun with at some stage... Either way sure youll find heaps of useful info here. The people here are great, very knowledgabe and VERY passionate.
  9. welcome mate.. ask as many questions as you want, its the only way to learn in life..
  10. Yep, i know i'm sh!t :p

11. Hi Tom (YAL14H) , welcome .
  12. great pun, ratty!!!
  13. welcome! sell the car and buy a bike instead! :p nah dont do anything rash and i hope you learn everything you want from this forum. friendly bunch :D what day are you heading out to the motorshow? i think a fair few of the sydney netriders are going on saturday theres a thread somewhere around here about it!
  14. welcome tom.......i'm new also been riding for 4 months now only. 4 months ago i knew as much about bikes as you do now i'm sure. ask questions, read past threads, enjoy the world of motorcycling and above all respect the bike.....because safety rules over everything.
  15. Bah! I'm a full time student and i somehow managed to just purchase my second bike (sold the first one). It's all a matter of how you budget... and personally i'd rather eat Mee Goreng noodles and ride my motorbike than get drunk on a Friday and piss up all my pay. (FYI i'm a content anglo-saxon... with a tendency to eat wanna-be asian food).

That said i've been giving dirty looks to my car recently thinking i might sell it... but just after doing that i need it again. I think it's a love hate relationship that will keep us going for a few more years. :D
  16. Im new to the road and the forum, I started at your age with a cheap dirtbike, that I used to ride off road with and it helps alot when you then go for your license later. And you also learn a bit about the mechanics of a bike.

But it depends how many machines in the drive way your mum will let you have if your still at home. :)
  17. Hi there mate and welcome!!

:D :D
  18. I recon you should off load your car and get a bike..

Im sure you can get $200 for the test. Sell your car and youll be on a bike in no time..

Otherwise consider a 2nd job!

btw, welcome aboard.
  19. g'day mate and welcome.
    as people have said there's lots of good people here who know what they are talking about.
    Unfortunately i'm not one of them (good or knowledgeable)
    :D :D :D :D :D :biker: