Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey guys, newbie to bikes

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by HotelWhisky, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Hey Hey,

I'm new to Roadbikes, but haven't bought my first bike yet. I am looking at getting my L's and buying a bike somewhere before/around Christmas.

I am really looking forward to getting into riding, I have done some bits of riding dirt bikes around farms etc, but its never been my main ride. I am going to be using my bike for commuting (around 15 minutes) because yay for free parking, but most importantly I just want to be able to go out for a ride and enjoy the exhilaration of it.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up some tips from here, and I am sure I will be all over here over the next few months :p.

Cheers Guys,
  2. Welcome to the forum, great place to get lots of info and advice. I'm a newbie too and I've got heaps out of this already! Enjoy!
  3. Cheers Mate,

I see you have a CBR500R, I was having a look at the CB300F and the CBR300R. How did you find your experience with Honda, and what made you go for the 500R? (if you dont mind me asking)
  4. +1
    Hello and welcome :)
  5. Welcome to NR.

As Donjuan said you'll enjoy it.
  6. Welcome to NR. Good luck with finding your bike. There are so many good bikes out there. I have been on Hondas for over 40 years.
  7. I found a really good dealer (closed down though) but they are still being super helpful.

I'm 6'3" tall so I wanted something slightly sporty yet comfortable enough to commute on. I looked at the Ninja 300 (I didn't fit - too small), the Ninja 650 (great, comfy but also $4k more than what I ended up spending) and the CBR500R which obviously filled the bill nicely. I did sit on a CBR300R special edition which also felt nice but I wanted something with a bit more go as the restrictions last for 3 years. My need for power is also based on my current car which does 0-100 in under 4 secs and has been to the track several times.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the CBR300R (I paid slightly more for the 500 which was a steal!).
  8. Thanks guys!

Cheers Donjuan, I can see the temptation to get something with a bit of power. I haven't yet managed to get my ass on any of the bikes in the stores (working in sales I know how annoying it is to get stuck with someone who has no intention of buying) I wanted to get a bit more knowledge and at least have a vague idea of what I was doing before just going in and sitting on something. I am about 4" smaller than you, so I don't think I will have the same issues, but I don't really like the idea of something really sporty where I am hunched over the tank the whole time. I suppose I will just go try some once I at least have my L's booked.

Looking through the advice for newbies (both here and elsewhere) there seems to be an overwhelming trend to recommend new bike owners buy bikes with less fairing, as it is less to damage in the 'inevitable' drop. That and my preference for something less sporty are what have me leaning toward the CB300F rather than the CB300R.

9. All I did was non-stop research, read reviews, watch reviews and speak to a couple of friends in other states that have bikes to get a feel for what I should be looking at. Once that was sorted I then moved to sit on a few to see how I fitted in the saddle. You'll have lots of options so spend your spare time researching and then go sit on one, a salesman will get a sale at the end of the day.
  10. Welcome. Don't worry about the 300R or 500R being too sporty. They are fairly upright compared to the true sports bikes.
  11. Hiya Hotel Whiskey a warm welcome from a fellow noob :)
  12. Welcome

Get a Honda cbr500r as iis a comfortable and easy bike to ride. Also fits larger body frames and you can ride long ddistances before you start complaining of discomfort.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Welcome to NR..
  14. Welcome to NR.
    Have you considered getting a slightly older bike?
    I went the ZZR 250 route. It's mechanically brilliant, and the fairings are relativley good still. Cost me $1800. Relative to atleast double that for a bike that you're going to be learning on :D

Happy riding
  15. It would be a good bike, but once he gets off his learner's he'll still need to ride a lams bike for another 3 years.

I too was looking at older 250's at first, but I'd rather buy a bike that I could still ride without issues after I got my licence and have to put up with 3 years of restrictions.
  16. There is no law that says you have to have the same bike over the entire life of your restrictions ;)

Might be a smart move to buy a cheap 2nd hand bike to start with and make most of your mistakes that cause scratches and dents, and then upgrade to a newer LAMS bike.