Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hey everyone, new and thinking of getting a bike

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Ashton, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hey guys, I'm Ashton. I'm nearly old enough to get my L's, and not sure weather to get an el-cheapo car or a bike. I'd be using it just to drive around the city, nothing that extreme.

I have no idea how much I need to spend on a bike - what engine size, brand,

The reasons I wanted a bike are
    1. I'd be riding alone earlier than driving alone, I've seen riders with their L plates alone. What are the laws for learning a motorbike?
    2. Cheaper than a car
    3. Easy to park
    4. Uses much less fuel

I've rode dirtbikes on private property before, when I was younger and they were Honda 100CRF and XR. But I'm like 6ft now, so what size of bike should I get?

Thanks for reading
  2. 1. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au - that also has a list of the only bikes you'll be allowed to own/ride legally.
    2. Can be cheaper to buy - if you avoid the popular boy-racer models (RVF400, CBR250RR etc.).
    3. Easier to park yes, but cars don't fall over ;).
    4. Again depends on what you buy - from a purely economic point of view an old Daihatsu Charade or similar would be cheaper to buy and run than many learner bikes.

As a rough guide if you want a bike that won't need work aim to spend somewhere between 3-5 thousand (or more if you want new). You'll then need around another thousand for a helmet and riding gear.
  3. Although only owning a bike can be done, only owning a car is much more practical and probably much cheaper (POS for POS).
    As a parent of kids keen to ride I'd also prefer them to learn a bit of road sense in a car before trying to learn it on a bike and learn to ride in traffic at the same time.
    Your limited time on a dirt bike means squat unfortunately.
  4. +1

I learnt my road craft pretty much on a motorbike and I wouldn't recommend it.

It's a fight out there, and the more protection you start off with the better.
  5. Internet warrior to the rescue! The most recommended learner bike on here is the VTR250, and everybody applauds when somebody buys one - they're an awesome bike too, but many pay more than the 'boy-racer' models and lose more on resale. It's true.
  6. True, but they're also getting a much newer bike.
    If you're not mechanically minded that can work out cheaper.

If we're just looking at cost I fail to see how you could ever justify buying a CBR250 - that's a decision purely to do with performance and/or appearance (and the OP did not express an interest in either).
  7. I read the geared website, turns out motorbike licenses are available at 16 and 9 months and car licenses at 16.

So it looks like I can only start riding 3 months before I get my P's on a car.

so.. it would be best for me to learn how to drive a cheap manual car first?

All this information is gold, thanks everyone
  8. Yup. Get a couple of years under your belt in a car first.

Learn to drive a manual too.
  9. yep, another vote for learning in a car first. Better to have that cage around you while you find out just how crazy it really is out there.

Oh, and definitely a manual .. more fun - more better!