Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

hey all

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by deemo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. How is it going

very new to the forum and new to bikes....so new that i dont even have one

this is why im here tho, im getting one very soon;

i have a question, i read that guys get thyr bikes and do the riding test on it; this confuses me, how do you get your bike to the place if you r not allowed to ride on roads yet, or do you just need someone to take it there for you?

second is the choice of a bike, im really not into the sporty stuff; the look, the position obviously im into cruisers but r they any good for a learner?

enough of me for now, thanks for the welcome in advance :)
  2. Welcome, depending on which state your in as the law change from border to border.
  3. firstly deemo, welcome. It's nice to have you along.

If you like cruisers and that's what appeals to you, then that's what you should aspire to. Personally I like sports bikes and race replicas, but that's just me.

The easiest and most learner friendly motorbikes to ride, don't really have a style at all. They are small to medium in size, low in power and weight, and general in purpose. You often hear them described as commuters or roadsters. Sometimes 'nakeds.' The rider sits upright with a slight forward tilt and there is little or no bodywork. The CB250RS and the GS500 are both good examples.

It would be my suggestion to find a bike of this type, second hand, ride it through your learner and 'P' time, and then start looking at a 2nd hand bike of the type that appeals to you. If the cruisers still make your heart skip a beat then go get one. If you can get around on that for a year without hitting anything or letting anything hit you, then give some thought to buying a new one. By then you should have a pretty fair idea what you want.

Do try and grab every opportunity to ride different types of bikes. It does broaden your understanding of the big picture. It would sadden me slightly to see someone come into bikes on a small cruiser, do their journeyman years on a mid size cruiser, and graduate to a new large cruiser - all without ever throwing a leg over a naked, or a dirtbike, or a sports bike, never knowing quite what they're missing.
  4. good point kneedragon, that is what i was thinking and i have been looking at vtr250's
    iwe read ppls feedbacks about learner bikes and vtr seems a good reliable starting point, i will keep your advice on cb's and gs's on board as well but eventually i want to get into cruisers as soon as i get some experience on the road
  5. Wonderful. Welcome to the fold.
  6. Welcome in deemo :) kneedragon has some great advice!
  7. Welcome mate ..=D> that was a good advise from kneedragon.
  8. some good advice, thank you

for now, ill prob go silent for a little while while i get all my gear and some wheels but ill be back thats a definite

9. I'd go for a road trail, like a Yamaha WR250, Suzuki DR250 or Honda XR250. I think you can make Yamaha TT350's road legal and they'd be an excellent learner bike, they can be picked up for very little money.
  10. You will find that the learner bikes at the Ls course will be of the style that kneedragon mentions. So you'll get a feel if that's what you might want to start on.

I have heard that its a bit more difficult to do the Ps test (otherwise known as the MOST here) on a cruiser, but don't let that put you off if that's what you are into. It seems that something like a virago 250 is pretty popular and easily available second hand, so you might want to look into that. A friend tried to sell me his for $3K, so pretty affordable I reckon, compared to what I ended up with.
  11. ok, been gone for a while but im back, im ready to take my spot at the rta lineup and get the permit to ride.
    Im a bit confused with (NSW by the way) how the process of learner riders goes, what i gathered and correct me if im wrong is that i do my 2 day training with everything provided, then comes knowledge test where i get my L permit. Is this the bit where im allowed to jump on a bike? where does MOST come in, i understand that you can bring your own bike to this test hence im thinking it comes last cus i can already ride on L's.

does it make any sense ?
  12. Correct 2 days Pre-learner course - need to pass it. Then need to do and pass your knowledge test at RTA. Then you will have your Ls license. After a minimum of 3 months of your Ls you can then do your tests for your Ps. The MOST is one part if the P test. The Ls is valid for 12 months and if you do not pass your Ps after 12 months - the whole process will need to be repeated. Details are on NSW RTA site. You can ride a LAMS bike once you have your Ls.
  13. ok, booked in for pre-learner course, 3 weeks wait :(

im getting a helmet, HJC a good brand? mate of mine has one that he used for a bit, perfect size for me and it would be not be a big hit for my wallet so i can spend extra cash on armour; if it is a quality helmet that is, i dont intend to cut corners whiles sacrificing quality. Im going to go with what experts say :)
    Going from what i read on the net, HJC is one of the biggest sellers and very popular,cant trust yahoo answers tho.

Almost bought that red bandit 250 if anyone saw it on ebay the other day, couldnt do it without being able to jump on and test ride it myself. It was a miss tho, looked good, $1900 only and it didnt sell
  14. iwe been thinking and reading about good learner bikes and believe it or not i changed my mind about cruisers, maybe one day when im 50 and i can afford a fat boy but for now iwe gotten to like the idea of SUZUKI XF650 and the like
    I like the idea that i can have a road tourer on saturdays, chuck a set of offroad wheels on and take it bush riding,
    am i pointing in a right direction with this?