Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Here we go again, this time with a CB1100F

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by bikeboy, Jan 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. #1 bikeboy, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Well, it's time to get stuck into the 1983 CB1100F I've been riding around for a while. Always planned to do a restoration, so as everything else is (relatively) settled, It's showtime. Been collecting parts for some time, from camchains and tensioners to hard to get rubbers for the primary shaft damper. Got a repro stock exhaust somewhere, and lots of other bits as well. Heck, even imported a pair of Pirelli Phantoms for the period-look.

phantoms.

Getting ahead of my self a bit there, but this is where I'm starting from:

onLift.

... and a little time later ...

apart.

Another day should see the frame ready for powdercoat, then I'll tear in to the motor, which in the way of these things was running perfectly fine :D

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Love your projects, mate!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Looking forward to this thread.

4. watching with interest. (y). I'm thinking of starting a 1000Cc project of some description myself later in the year:p

5. Oh dear, guess i'll be ignoring Mrs Lionz a little bit in the near future..........................

6. Need to stabilise the motor while I pull it to bits.
    motorStand.

Then...off with it's head. No dramas with the cams or shims, but the first sign of trouble with the B chain tensioner.
    Btensioner.

Not too serious, as it's only the plastic sleeve, but fragments could block an oil passage somewhere.

Then a rather more serious issue with the A chain guide.
    guides.

Left is the one I removed. It has split in two, and the locating dowel has come adrift. The middle is a good stock one, and right is the replacement Vince and Hyde Racing re-engineered piece. I put one in the 985 rebuild a while ago and they're the duck's nuts. Will also replace the A chain tensioner with their new race-proven version.
    Atensioners.

I've got the barrels soaking in a penetrating solution because as per usual, they're stuck fast and won't budge without chemical/mechanical assistance, but the bore look nice, and the tops pf the pistons are cleaner than any I have come across so far. The bike has 80K in it, and I've known the previous owner for years and he did nothing to the motor so I'm pleased with the condition of those. I'll get the barrels honed anyway, and I have a new set of rings, so I'll put those in anyway.
    bore.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Following! I like the look of these things. For some reason I like the idea of owning a bike that's the same age as me, so I'll be looking for the model prior to this, a 1979 cb900 Bol D'or. Anyway look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jeez I don't see much chance of me picking up a project bike based on that logic, I was born in 1949!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Do you accept the challenge old timer? :p

10. Look I'd love to but I can't think of one 1949 model bike that wasn't a heap of junk when brand new, let alone 66 years later :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hmmm. An issue peculiar to the 1100, which doesn't have the drain holes at the bottom of the stud tunnels the 900's have. Consequently all sorts of crud enters and builds up around the stud. I'm having a helluva time removing the barrel because of this, despite constant soaking in a 50/50 Acetone/ATF mix.

stud.

12. yucky is the only appropriate description......

13. Interesting..

:D

14. Old school big bore. Love these old buses. They were the bike to have when I started to get into bikes.

15. Well, had no luck getting in from the top, so I've gone in the back door.

split.

Bearings are worn, but no damage to journals. Just normal wear and tear. I was expecting to have to change them anyway. Pistons look really nice too. I haven't checked the end-gaps yet, but I have rings anyway. Gears are all great, but I'm going to have to get the bearing pressed off that primary shaft so I can replace the rubber dampers. All in all, nothing unexpected.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Amazing breakdown.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Foe those that were wondering what a dismantled Primary shaft looks like (and perhaps that's only me ;) )

primaryParts.

New rubber dampers fitted into drum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Hmmm. Did I tell you I'm easily distracted?

Got the last couple of bits for the 1000R front-end conversion on my VF750F:

1Kfront.

A new tyre to replace the mock-up unit, and that should be it ;)

Then back to the 1100 :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. Oh dear. Time flies eh?
    Good news is the distractions have (almost) come to an end. This will get a roadie and full reg.
    bike06.

...and will replace this as my fall-back position
    avalon2.

I've given it back to my brother, who originally gave it to me in pieces sometime around 2001. I thought it was time to repay his generosity.

On to the 1100 now. Got some incoming from David Silver Spares after working up the courage to sell my first-born for a set of bearing shells. Naturally the local Honda dealer was unable to help, and even suggested I try 'off-shore'. Happy to oblige.

[​IMG]

Now that I have the capital invested, I'm motivated to put this thing back together.

motor.

I've not been able to get my hands on the jigs necessary to separate the barrels, so I'll hone them in position.

This poor old thing has sat out in the cold long enough, so it's off to the powder-coater along with a tub full of miscellaneous parts.

frame.
    powder02.

Sorry for the hiatus, but I think I'm back on track now :confused:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Jeez I thought you'd died and gone to Honda's heaven.......