Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Here is the All New 2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (Concept)

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Take a look at the all new Suzuki GSX-R1000. No, you can’t have it yet. At this stage, it’s a concept but from both the appearance of the bike and the press kit released by Suzuki, this is the finished product. This is what Suzuki will finally be releasing to update the nearly decade old current machine and we expect it to hit showrooms around the middle of next year as 2017 model.

The new GSX-R1000 gets a nice styling update while remaining true to its heritage. Aerodynamics have been improved thanks to data from MotoGP and from the rear shot you can see how compact the machine looks. According to Suzuki, it will be the lightest, the most compact, the most aerodynamic and the best-handling GSX-R1000 yet.

Suzuki has gone so far as to say that they even redesigned exposed bolts to ensure minimal air resistance. The front light is LED (believe it or not, a first for Suzuki) as is the rear brake light.

The press kit from Suzuki reads like one for a production bike – all that’s missing from it are specific numbers on horsepower, torque and weight. Here’s a few highlights of the machine:

• All-new 999cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline-four will be the most powerful GSX-R1000 motor ever
    • All-new aluminum frame
    • Ride by wire electronic throttle
    • 10-level Traction Control System
    • Three engine modes
    • Quick shifter
    • Launch control

Also of note is that the GSX-R1000 will get Showa’s Balance Free Forks and Balance Free Rear Cushion shock just like the new Kawasaki ZX-10 will have.

It’s been a long wait for this bike but on paper at least, Suzuki appears to have delivered the goods. Alongside the still fresh R1 and the all new ZX-10 coming out next year, it’s going to be another wonderful time for superbikes

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. And still the fuglyest of the superbikes.
    Features are encouraging but no specs yet...
    If this is sill a >200kg, <200hp bike then I give it a fail overall...

3. Gixxers have never looked good and looks like they never will. Good bikes but lack appeal
  4. Do we have a release date yet?
  5. I don't think it would be a bad thing if on paper it's behind on power to weight but more competitive on price. Litre super sports are now up to around $25k which is starting to get a bit rich in my mind.
  6. They're 20-25K now because of the added fruit like better and lighter frames and components, better suspension, quick shifters, etc.
    What rolls off the showroom floor in 2016 would put an early 2000's factory superbike to shame....though I wish they would get rid of the ugly and heavy std exhausts into the bargain.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I'd take a circa 200hp super sport without the technology for $20k on the road but no one wants to make that as they obsess over lap times now.

Exhausts are just the way of the times. Some standard exhausts aren't to bad though the 2015 s1000rr exhaust sounds really good and doesn't look too shabby. However I think the manufacturers basically assume you'll swap out the exhaust now anyway so what's the point in spending big money on them. Just spend the minimum to make them compliant as they'll be in the bin shortly.
  8. CBF'dCBF'd The technology is used to make the power controllable enough so that an average rider can utilize the bike and use it to its potential.

Without them, the average joe would actually be slower around a track, or would be regularly launched into a massive highside as the bike spun up and then gripped before the rider knew what was going on.

Do you honestly believe you could ride a bike weighing 200kg with an output of 200+HP anywhere near its limit without those pesky, expensive electronics aids?

Most mere mortals couldn't fully utilize the early 2000 bikes which put out 50HP less, but had no electronics.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yea there are many that could (not necessarily me, I make no claims of greatness) I honestly don't understand the 200hp hysteria. We were happy to ride around on 160-170hp super sports but suddenly a 10-15% increase in power mandates electronic wizardry because they are unmanageable. I'm just saying I'd be buying a circa $18k super sport producing around the 190-200hp without the electronics thereby cutting the cost for something I (and some others) don't really need/want. The only alternative now will probably be to by used if your after a good value super sport. In my view one manufacturer going down this path would create a point of differentiation and create "choice". Remember different strokes for different folks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. You say there are many who could ride a 200HP to its limit without the safety net of electronics? Who are these demi gods?

I know of a fella, pretty competent rider too, who decided at a track day that he didn't need the electronics on his 2015 S1000RR.

He lasted two laps before binning it in a spectacular high side, hurting himself in the process badly enough to need an ambulance! He thought he didn't need the electronics either!

Cutting the cost in one area might increase the cost in others, like bike insurance or hospital bills.
  11. You are not really picking up what I'm saying. Your mate crashed when he turned off the electronics. Many have turned off electronics and not crashed. It's just uneventful and no one takes note because it's uninteresting.

My point is no one is making a stripped back super sport bike (e.g. Think something like Caterham for cars). In my view there is a big gap in the market which could easily be filled. Motorcyclists in general are a superstitious bunch (think the reluctance to accept disc brakes initially) and like to stick to what they know. I think it would sell well. Irrespective of the fact the bike loaded with electronics is the better bike.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Of course I am. You want a 200HP superbike but aren't willing to pay more than $20K, so are wishing someone would sell one one with no electronics for less than the current crop of fully kitted out bikes.

My point is that you may as well not bother, because you will never reap the full benefits of such a bike as you won't actually be able to use the bike to its full potential anyway.

Sure, you'll be able to putt around at road riding speeds using about half of its power without too much problem if you are an experienced rider, but you will never use the bike to anywhere near it's potential, so why does it matter that it has 200Hp?
    You may as well buy a pre 2011 CBR1000RR. Close enough to 200Hp and stuff all electronics for a bargain basement price. Because you don't want the latest and greatest anyway, do you? Just stick to what you know!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. If you've only got $20K and want a $20K sportsbike then buy one, there are plenty to choose from.

Get a 2nd hand one or get a 600 *first world problems*, a modern 600 will lap faster than a 1000 from 5 years ago anyway.
  14. I'm glad you can see into future and predict the price of a prototype bike. The current GSXR 1000 is $17.5k +on roads. Was just saying it would be nice if the price didn't inflate too much based on them adding a laptop or two in computing power. Geez tough crowd.
  15. Yeah and they sell bugger all of them because contrary to your belief that motorcyclists don't like change, everyone is forking out more $ for the latest and greatest bikes with the big Hp numbers and electronics in this market segment, because either they want bragging rights or can appreciate the added benefit of the electronics package, or both.

If you want a $20K bike though with a lot less electrickery, there are a number of good options. CBR, GSXR, etc.
  16. 600s (or 6-800ish as they are now) are nudging $18,000 RRP before you add any options. Exotic superbikes are closer to $25 than $20,000. Wouldn't surprise me to see the next lot of Jap litres north of $20,000...

However, I can't help but agree with some of the argument. I looked at the S1000RR, which I've been covetting since it was first released, and couldn't fathom the need for cruise control, or the arms race of possible combinations of traction control and ABS that BMW and Ducati seem to be on. One of the reasons I went with another Daytona is the lack of all that fruit - other than switchable ABS and a slipper clutch.

17. So you are saying - 200hp bikes have riding aids that "help" the rider with 200hp. So isn't that also the same as not using it's full potential as well? I'd also argue no one uses a 200hp bike to full potential on the road. And by definition, only the guys at the front of the pack in ASBK are doing so.
  18. No its not the same. The electronics on a modern sportsbike helps the rider maximize the use of that power, to have max control without going over the edge and turning the bike into something hard to control. This is really important when you are really pushing at a track, or even on the road in less than optimal conditions, such as really cold, wet weather.

After all, whats power without control?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep I agree with that, it allows you to get closer to the limit.

But the electronics don't allow you to use the engines full power when it's not possible, like as you said, cold wet conditions, hell you might be lucky to use even half the HP at lower speeds. So what's the difference between that and -

"you will never reap the full benefits of such a bike as you won't actually be able to use the bike to its full potential anyway

I've seen turbo Busa's with 300-400hp, they are mental, but the owners seem to do ok and have fun without T/C, even if they don't use "all the potential".
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. #20 CraigA, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    You probably don't need half the power to have the rear step out in shitty conditions, but half of a 200HP bike is more than half of a 150HP bike and things happen a hell of a lot quicker on the 200HP bike.

Also as an engine stressed to a higher state of tune, it tends to lose its manners so the electronics help restore these manners t something liveable.

These 1000cc bikes are the same capacity wise as they were 10 years ago, but they are putting out 25% more power. Because they are in a higher state of tune, the electronics is there to smooth that out too.

Ever tried driving a highly tuned V8 manual that puts out 600+HP through a school zone at 40KPH or through peak hour traffic? Its not the same as driving a Honda Civic! Theres a lot more going on!

My point was leaning toward the need for 200HP with no electronics being useless to the average rider, so why wish for something you aren't going to get, particularly when it was asked for at a price point?

You can currently buy a 15 GSXR 1000 or CBR1000 within CBF'ds 20K budget with bugger all electronics aids (which the average rider wont be able to utilize to its potential either but anyhoo) and probably be as fast on it as you would the 200HP machine with no electronics on most tracks. Why the need for 200HP at all, but especially if it must be without electronics, just to suit his budget?

Yes a turbo 'busa is no doubt fun in a straight line, but I reckon if you had a set of tight twisties to negate, or a track without a huge straight you would almost definitely be slower on a turbo 'busa than a gsxr600, which you could use to its potential.
    • Like Like x 1