Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by toar_rl, Oct 24, 2006.

1. I opened engine sprocket cover to clean the engine sprocket.

Spent about 2 hours lovingly cleaning it... then put it all together and can't get out of neutral....

tired adjusting clutch.... didn't help

everything seemed straight forward but come to think of it the pulled out the clutch push rod

1. does this go in either way?

2. where the push rod goes into the cover (there is a spring thing linked to the clutch cable) does this need to go in a certain way?

Any assistance would be most appreciated as I don't have a trailer.

2. Can highly recommend Motorcycle Logistics on 9390-8197 to get you to a good mechanic!
  3. I just found this, relates to Busa is it the same for K1 Gixa thou?

If so I'm well Foooked cause i didn't do steps 3-8

what should i do now?????

1. Remove left side body panel.

2. Remove 2 screws holding coolant overflow tank.

3. Pull in clutch lever and put a zip tie around clutch lever and grip to keep clutch pulled in (this is to keep the clutch fluid from flowing out of the clutch line when it is removed from the slave cylinder).

4. Open the bleeder screw slowly on the clutch slave cylinder it is under pressure. Remove bleeder screw.

5. Remove the clutch line from the slave cylinder, fluid will leak DO NOT GET ANY CLUTCH FLUID ON THE PAINT.

6. Remove the speed sensor. Remove the one screw then pull the sensor out of the cover.

7. Loosen but do not remove the 2 bolts holding the slave cylinder on.

8. You will need to remove the shift lever to remove the cover. Before you remove the lever use a black marker and put a line on the shift and the shaft so you will know where it is suppose to line up when you put it back on. You need to remove the bolt completely to take the lever off of the shaft. You will not be able to get the bolt out completely because it will hit the bike stand but do not remove the stand just push down on your shifter to rotate the shaft and the bolt will come right out. Now slide shift lever off of the shaft.

9. Remove the 4 screws holding the sprocket cover on.

10. Pull the sprocket cover straight out.

11. Remove the 2 bushings (pins with holes that the bolts go thru to align the cover).

12. Now remove the clutch slave cylinder.

13. Now that you have the cover off clean off all of the extra chain crap around the sprocket.

14. For people installing the polished cover do not touch the front of the cover Use the plastic the part came in as a protector while installing.

15. Install clean clutch slave cylinder in new cover do nor forget to install the 2 pins to align the slave cylinder (we recommend tapping the slave cylinder in place with a rubber mallet then installing the bolts from the front)

16. Next install the 2 pins that align the cover on the engine case.

17. Install the cover with the 4 factory screws.

18. Install the speed sensor push it all the way flush before installing the screw.

19. Install clutch line and clutch bleeder screw Do Not forget washers.

20. Tighten all screws.

21. You will now need to bleed the clutch. Remove the zip tie holding the clutch lever. Pump the clutch lever a few times hold the lever and loosen the bleeder screw. Do this a few times until there are no more air bubbles coming out. Do not forget to add clutch fluid to the reservoir when bleeding clutch.

22. Next install the coolant overflow bottle.

23. Install the shift lever

24. Finally Install the side body panel
  4. You missed points 25 and 26.
    25. Don't muck around with things you don't understand
    26. Do employ the services of you local trained professional, who does not have to take note of point 25.
  5. Thanks for the advice Hornet, you also forgot the following steps:

27. Live under a rock your whole life and be afraid of the unknown.

28. Never challenge yourself and give up before taking the first step

29. Forget about learning anything new, ignorance is bliss

(nothing personal Hornet just surprised with your attitude)

Ok so now that Hornet has crawled back into his whole I have some great

I FIXED IT....

Well turns out there was nothing wrong with it in the first place, consulted
    with Dean from Dynoverks and conversation went something like this:

Dean: did you try rocking the wheel?
    Toar: what does that mean?
    Dean: Spinning the wheel back and forth on the centre stand...
    Toar: Ok I will try that
    Dean: If not I'll organise to pick it up and we'll have a look...

... then he preceded to go through some other possible solutions.

Luckily it worked and much credit to Dean from Dynoverks (what a great
    attitude, focused on solutions rather than would have should have could

Note: also spoke to my previous mechanic who had nothing to offer (I could go on but this could turn ugly, especially since I've spent over $800.00 at his workshop, he was not helpful at all, only interested in making more money from me)

So positive outcomes of this whole exercise:

1. I know the basic difference between cable and hydraulic clutches
    2. Learnt how to adjust freeplay in clutch and tailored it to my preference
    3. I have an extremely clean engine sprocket, and everything else is lemon fresh (love Mr Sheen)
    4. Built up confidence in "tinkering" with my baby, next is idle speed then suspension/chain tension, then brakes, oil change, etc.....
    5. Came to the very important realisation that I should change mechanics, most likely Dynoverks, or Pablo's (both have good attitudes and customer service focused)
  6. i agree with points 25 and 26 in theory.... IN THEORY! in theory comunism works in theory. :shock: ....... cough cough
  7. Point 29) Some old men are just that ,or maybe a bit tiered or disoriantated :p Solution take with a grain of salt and boil until compas mentes,flavour to taste :p
  8. Dean will get slaughtered by James for not charging you for advise given over the phone, expect a bill in the mail ;)
  9. Vic, I've spent a bit of money at Dynoverks also for tyres so i'm a paying customer
  10. hi i have to have 5posts
  11. one to go
  12. At the risk of being flamed just because I have a few years under my belt, I believe it worth pointing out that diving in with no preparation is of course fun, but having been young myself once I can assure you it will inevitably prove to be expensive fun. A little preparation will actually add to the quality and value of the experience. Luck is a very inefficient tool, and as you yourself rather puzzlingly said, ignorance is not bliss................
  13. dun worry incitatus i have a service manual and i'm very resourceful on the internet in terms off finding info, also have many mechanically minded people around me.... and net rider...

but i take your point and it is a very valid one...

i agree sometimes u need to take "calculated risks"
  14. You must, or you become one of them :cool:

Well done.
  15. The curse of typing quickly

I apologise for leaving off the smiley, but I would have thought you would have realised that I was joking...... :grin: Anytime someone posts a list like that, someone invariably adds to the list.....

{Oh, and that's HOLE, not whole, in that context :p :LOL:}
  16. one of who davo?