Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

help with vt250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by gmawby, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Hello,
    my Spada (89 model with 54K on the clock) rattles loudly at about 2 to 2.5k rpm, I noticed the noise when practicing my U turns! The noise seem to be coming from where the cam chain is. I've been studying the work shop manual and it does not look too hard to strip the engine and fit a new tensioner and cam chain.
    If anyone has done this on a VT250 are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Let me know.

2. Take a look at vtr250.org
    There's a few articles on there which mention bleeding/messing with the tensioners.
    Apparently they can get stuck with old oil and crud.
    It's quite possible you don't have to replace them, but they are often on ebay with a price.

Different tensioner design on my bike, but as a quick fix I was able to free up the mechanisms which weren't travelling/tensioning anymore due to a good deal of chain stretch and ageing/shrinking of sheaths covering the springs.
    Nice and quiet for now.