Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with upshifting

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by JP, Jun 20, 2008.

1. It's been a few weeks now since I got my bike, and all things considered, I feel like I'm doing pretty good for a newbie. I have been judging the movements of other cars around me, hill starts are a piece of cake, and I'm leaning more in the corners. However, one thing I need help on atm is upshifting. Quite a few times now I have gone to upshift and all I get is a nice revving sound. It doesn't just happen going from 1'st to 2'nd (altho its more frequent). I know all thats happening is I'm pulling in the clutch before I've released the throttle. Can anyone give me any tips or techniques to avoid this from happening? As always, thanks very much for you time and knowledge.

2. PRACTICE!!!

and don't think about it / look at it, just keep your vision up and 'feel' it.
  3. Conciously think about the actions, sequence and timing your hands and feet need to do every time you do it.

This builds the neuronal pathways in the brain so the actions eventually become automatic. It takes on the order of 400 repetitive cycles for actions (good or bad) to become habit ie. to the point where you don't think about doing it anymore. That's why it's important to get the actions correct as you are learning them. Unlearning bad habits is difficult as it means rewiring the circuits, literally.
  4. Practice makes perfect.
  5. Yep, practice is the only thing I can think of.

Be aware of what you are doing, note when it goes well, how it feels and sounds.

Within no time you'll be acting automatically.
  6. I remember a bloke saying in the L's course that a way to avoid missing a gear is to hold pressure up on the gear lever as you let the clutch out.

Could this be a factor?

NB: I have a prob a grand total of an hour's riding experience :grin:
  7. Yea I think that was for avoiding false neutrals. I took the bike for another spin this afternoon and deliberatly upshifted more slowly and that seemed to help, so I'll do that for a bit until I get it down pat. Thanks for the replies!
  8. It'll become second nature after awhile. My tip is to find out how fast you can let out the clutch. I was told, fast in and slow out. I don't always let out my clutch slowly, but still get s smooth shift. Having decent revs helps as well.

You know when you're getting it when you start to really leave cars at the lights :grin:

Legally accelerating to the posted limit, of course :roll:
  9. practice indeed.. I had the same problem. Was really frustrating and actually became an unwelcomed distraction that made me start looking at my clutch hand rather than the road. Not good.

My suggestion would be to go to a nice quite road and work your way through the gears and low revs and then upshift again over and over again.

Try different rev ranges, different clutch speeds, try blipping/squirting the throttle at the same time for smoother changes.. Just makes heaps of jerky, woefull and un cool changes to learn what doesnt work and what does.

Then you can start applying this new skill and technique anywhere without feeling to pre occupied with it.

what your going through with this im feeling the same way about cornering.. I can do it, but just tense/stiff all the time and Im trying to undo the habits.. Stick with it.. : )