Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with taking off into a corner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Peaches, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me how to take off into a corner properly without stalling the bike? I seem to always stall at a stop sign when I'm ready to take off into a corner (please don't laugh). :? It might be a nerves thing, but it's really embarrasing and more seriously, a definite risk of dropping Peaches. :cry:

I have no trouble cornering, but whenever I stop, put my foot down, and get ready to take off again either left or right, my bike stalls and attempts to fall over - I'm not a small girl (59 kilos) :oops: but dang the weight of the bike can be a bit of a problem when it comes to stopping it from falling.

Can you help with some advice on how I can take off smoothly without stalling Peaches 10 times at each stop sign? :?:

2. Sounds like you're letting the clutch out too quickly and/or not giving the engine enough revs.
    Try using more throttle and if you find the bike is starting to go too quick try reapplying the clutch a little (not too far obviously). Hopefully if you stop stalling you will eventually start getting the feel for just how much clutch and throttle you need. Probably best to practice this somewhere safe and in a straight line first until it becomes instinctive, then you won't need to think about it in corners at all.
    Remember that a bike doesn't need you to stay upright - it just needs forward momentum.
  3. Go to a parking lot and practice starting and stopping over and over until you get a better feel for the clutch.
  4. gotta find where that 'friction point' is........where the clutch is 1/2 out.......
    If you know where that is from feel all the time, you can just engage from there by running the clutch.........you shouldnt stall from that point.......as long as you are just keeping 'friction point'.
  5. It sounds like you are trying to take off as you would in a straight line, you need to apply a bit more throttle, like you would taking off on a slight incline. Then use your clutch to correct your acceleration rate, slip it more if you are taking off to fast and let it out more if you are accelerating to slowly. Practice this in a car park for a while until it is not something you have to think about. Then when you have that right learn to roll the throttle on as you let the clutch out listening to the engine and keeping the revs slowly rising until the clutch is all the way out, this way you will not stall the bike, sliding the clutch is already second nature and you won't get worried about staling and have the bike jerk forward because you lost clutch control.
  6. Commit to the turn. Look where you want to go, get some forward movement going in a straight line (long enough to stabilise the bike when it first starts moving), then start your turn whilst feeding in throttle. Feeding in throttle will reduce or eliminate the bike wanting to fall down into teh corner.
    Go and practice it in a carpark a few times to see what I mean.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Point the front wheel in the direction you want to go a bit first, then give it a bit of throttle and release the clutch till you feel the bike staring to pull away and SLOWLY ease it out whilst you look where you need to be going.
    Don't spend too long going slow, the bike's more stable once it gets moving at a bit of pace.
  8. Use the same technique as you would for low speed and U turns, constant throttle, clutch and drag the rear brake to control speed.

Your problem is actually from being too stiff on the bars. Relax your elbows and be smooth.

Do the above for a bit then after a while, you will be confident enough to take off normally while the wheels turned.
  9. The other thing you might want to practice is stopping back a bit so you have a bit of straight run up before turning
  10. Foot on rear brake holding it down.

HOLD the throttle steady at a fast idle. So at a guess 4000rpm? or thereabouts

Let the clutch out SLOW until friction point is found...bike wants to move but can't because of rear brake. HOLD it at friction point.

Point wheels in the direction you wanna go....or stop the bike at an angle to begin with so you just have to go straight-ish.

Drag rear brake to control speed coming out and letting it off fully once your straight.

Once straight clutch out fully.

Once you become more natural with your bike, you won't need this procedure.

If you need pointers I am always riding around Sydney.
  11. Thanks guys.

I think you're right - I try to take off into a corner like I would on a straight but then i panic because obviously I have to "dip" the bike into the corner.

The thing is, I get to friction point and then start accelerating, followed by a release of the clutch - but still I stall :(

Guess it's back to the Macquarie Uni car park for me... :oops: Thanks for the advice anyway.

12. That's the problem, you can only stall if the clutch is fully out and you don't have enough revs. Just keep it at friction point and enough revs to get moving once your moving fast enough let it out fully. This is ok because your new to riding and you will improve.

When your at a stand still and your moving off, generally you don't lean the bike you can just steer it via the bars.

Lastly. Relax.
  13. Yeah it sounds like nervs is your problem, and some carpark time could be your solution.
  14. In that case, don't practice cornering near a 97 white Corolla. It's mine :).

My preference is not to accelerate after reaching the friction point. I think it's a little easier to increase throttle at standstill first to hold a constant fast idle and then find your friction point. You really need the revs a bit higher on a little engine to start moving.

When you have it, you should be able to move forward by easing off the clutch. So your take off is all about the clutch hand until it's fully released.
    It's easier to coordinate one hand at a time.

When it's fully released, then you roll on more throttle.
  15. Hey out of interest, what is your idle set at?
  16. Ummmmm I don't know - how do I find out?

And i haven't hit any cars at mac U car park yet :LOL:
  17. Idle speed = rpm when you are in neutral/clutch in and no revvs (when its properly warmed up). It depends on the bike but typically 1200-1400ish on most bikes. If its set too low it makes it very easy to stall taking off..

Check what it is next time you're on the bike, it might be too low. Alternatively you can just cheat and up the idle speed 200 rpm or so to make take offs easier (I did this for MOST P test and it helps).
  18. OH the RPM. Mine's about 1000 I think... although it might be lower.

How do I make it 200 rpm faster? Sorry I'm a true noob :oops:
  19. Adjusting idle speed should be covered in the owners manual, different for every model of bike so I can't advise on what to do on yours.

Have you been a car driver before getting on a bike? If so, forget everything you have been taught about not slipping/riding the clutch, on a bike you have to if you want smooth control. Took me a while to change my thinking on this too.

Also, keep it rolling in 1st until you complete the turn, then change gear, not a good idea to try it mid-turn.

20. Oh, and when pulling away and turning at the same time, you need to steer more than lean. To a point, as speed increases then you need to start to lean and reduce steering input. I struggled with this for a while too!