Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with sprockets please

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by littleal, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    My bike is a 1992 el kwaka 250cc,with 62,000 k"s on the clock.
    when riding it pulls well up until about 3/4 of the rev limt in each gear.
    iam going to get it booked in for the valve timing & carby sync (with a good clean)which only can help?
    It will only get to about 75klm per hour b4 it stars to sort of over run.
    as this bike is used for 98% commuting,the roads that i travel on are of varing speed limts , it would be good if i could get it to go to at least 95 to 100 eaiser than it struggles to get to 80 now.
    It is currently is running a 45 th sprocket on the rear & i do not know what is on the front
    Does any body know what is std for tis bike?
    question is which way should igo to help?
    smaller on the rear & larger on the front or what?
    Being new to the bike scene i do not know which is the best way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

thanks in advance ,

2. Give the guys at 'the chain gang' http://www.chaingang.com.au/ a call, they will be able to tell you what standard gearing is and help you out with some regearing advice.
  3. Dude that sounds like more of an engine problem. Take it to a mechanic, changing sprockets isn't your answer.