Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with Professional Indemnity insurance please

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Doch, May 14, 2007.

1. G'Day all,

Does anyone know anything about PI insurance?

I've been teaching for about 3-4 years for wages so I've never had to worry about having it.

I'm a First Aid instructor and have been making some enquiries about obtaining a license from a Uni to teach their brand of First Aid, I thought that if I'm teaching under their license I would be covered by theirs.
    Am I correct in thinking this or not?

The Uni says that if I'm teaching for them ie teaching a course that they themselves have booked, then I am covered but if I teach a course that is for the general public that I have organised myself then I am not, even if I use the Uni's materials.

Any ideas?
    Cheers :?
  2. The Uni is only minimisnig it's risk - it has no responsibility to cover contractors, which is what you would seem to be when doing your own course.

I deal with a great Broker in Melbourne (Upwey) - Insurance Made Easy 1800 641 260. I deal with Brian

I know James well who has a share in the business - so ask for him if Brian is not there.

I've used them for about five years for all my insurance including PI.

Cheers Alex
  3. If you are a member of a professional association or a union check with them.

Some have an automatic cover for a certain amount, others have access to discounted insurance.
  4. +1 to the above. Lots of brokers will do PI, and its not that expensive.

Love the tag line incidently. Reminds me of my old one... non carabondum illigitimi..... :cool:
  5. Thanks TC and Tony. I haven't had a chance to contact them yet but hopefully it will be better than the quote that arrived in the mail today.......$2500 for $5mil cover.
    I new it would be expensive but didn't quite figure on that.
  6. Thanks Tramp, but shouldn't your tag line have been Illegitimi non carborundum?

I love Google :)