Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter. [vic]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Zealt, Aug 2, 2010.

1. As hard as I try I, I'm not always as eloquent as i want to be and i tend to forget what I'm talking about and end up with a pile of crap nobody can understand. So can someone with more then half my brain help me re-write this, maybe make it more concise or expand on some issue I'm missing?

Would appreciate it before i send it off.

(Letter to Management at KNOX City Shopping Centre)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For years now I have been coming to KNOX to shop and grab a bite to eat and have always parked my motorcycle in the same place, I looked for a safe place for my bike that would keep it away from the sun, rain and people who like to write notes on them with their keys.

Recently I stopped coming to Knox because "NO MOTORCYCLE" parking signs have spread to the area I park (Next to Super Cheap Auto), It is especially good there because there are two entrances (or exits if you like) it's close to the entrance but no so close it gets in the way, plus you can clearly see the traffic lights so not to ride off while pedestrians cross.

Now I know from experience that non motorcycle riders think motorcycles should just look for a car park, people don't expect a motorbike to be in a car park so they don't perceive a bike there and often run into them (there is a big difference in what you see and what you perceive), I know this because I am a member of various motorcycle forums and group and have heard from people who have had this happen to them.

Every time I park there I watch for people walking past and come in very slowly (slower then people riding push bikes who are allowed to park there), so my question is how many accidents involving motorcycles and pedestrians have there been at KNOX city and how many of them have been at this spot (next to Super Cheep Auto and the Elevator)?
    Because I really can't see why you would stop people parking their bikes there, unless someone complained, but wait, I'm complaining because you say I cant park there.

So again why have the no motorcycle parking signs gone up there and what evidence do you have for your reasons?

Thank you for you're time, I look forward to a prompt reply.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For many years now I have been coming to KNOX to shop and grab a bite to eat and have always parked my motorcycle in the same place. I look for a safe place for my bike, which keeps it away from the sun, rain and people who like to write notes on it with their keys.

Recently I stopped coming to Knox because "NO MOTORCYCLE" parking signs have spread to the area where I park (Next to Super Cheap Auto). It is appropriate I park there because there are two entrances (or exits if you like), it's close to the entrance, but no so close to get in the way. Also you can clearly see the traffic lights, so not to ride off while pedestrians cross.

Now I know from experience that non motorcycle riders think motorcycles should just look for a car park. The problem being drivers don't expect a motorbike to be in a car park, so they don't perceive a bike there and often run into it (there is a big difference in what you see and what you perceive). I know this because I am a member of various motorcycle forums and group and have heard from people who have had this happen to them.

Every time I park there I watch for people walking past and I proceed very slowly (slower than people riding push bikes who are allowed to park there). So my question is, how many accidents involving motorcycles and pedestrians have there been at KNOX city and how many of them have been at this spot (next to Super Cheep Auto and the Elevator)?
    I really can't see why you would stop people parking their bikes there, unless someone has complained. I, however, am complaining because you say I can’t park there.

So again why have the No Motorcycle Parking signs gone up there and what evidence do you have for your reasons? (not going to suggest asking for alternative parking, I want to park there)

P.s
    If all the motorcycles that came to the center parked in car parks it would take up more room then necessary thus leaving less room for cars to park as you could probably fit 4 motorcycles to a car park.

Only ever written letters to people after I got a parking fine for parking in my quiet court (fag ass wipe neighbor complained) had no luck there so help with this, Cheers.

2. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

what's wrong with what you wrote? It sounds fair enough to me...

3. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

As I shop at Knox at times, I'll be happy to pen them a letter as well. Usually park near Super Cheap too. The more that write in will only add to the cause.

As a separate idea, maybe organise a time where bikes get there early and take up some "prime" spots, one bike per bay, to show that an area is definitely needed.

4. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

I no longer go there, the security guards are a pack of copper wannabes. I listen to them on the radio regularly, they way they talk, the way they handle kids there, and their general attitude towards others.
    Pity they're not trained to handle complaints. I've been very unsuccessful in obtaining outcomes for 3 incidents there in the past 2 years from both Centre Management and Security.
    Management has changed in the past 12 months as well.
    Security guards are throw-outs from other shopping centres, got no where else to put them due to union action.
    Good Luck with it.

5. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

This works wonders, +1000.

6. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

For many years now I have been coming to KNOX to shop and grab a bite to eat and have always parked my motorcycle in the same place. I look for a safe place for my bike, which keeps it away from the sun, rain and people who like to write notes on it with their keys.

Recently I stopped coming to Knox because "NO MOTORCYCLE" parking signs have spread to the area where I park (Next to Super Cheap Auto). It is appropriate I park there because there are two entrances (or exits if you like), it's close to the entrance, but no so close to get in the way. Also you can clearly see the traffic lights, so not to ride off while pedestrians cross.

Now I know from experience that non motorcycle riders think motorcycles should just look for a car park. The problem being drivers don't expect a motorbike to be in a car park, so they don't perceive a bike there and often run into it (there is a big difference in what you see and what you perceive). I know this because I am a member of various motorcycle forums and group and have heard from people who have had this happen to them.

Every time I park there I watch for people walking past and I proceed very slowly (slower than people riding push bikes who are allowed to park there). So my question is, how many accidents involving motorcycles and pedestrians have there been at KNOX city and how many of them have been at this spot (next to Super Cheep Auto and the Elevator)?
    I really can't see why you would stop people parking their bikes there, unless someone has complained. I, however, am complaining because you say I can’t park there.

So again why have the No Motorcycle Parking signs gone up there and what evidence do you have for your reasons?
    Could you also explain where I can park my motorcycle in a secure and safe location within the centre?

7. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

I too live around the corner and would park in the same area all the time.
    I actually spoke to a security bloke and he told me the shopping center were looking at everywhere where bikes park.
    That spot has been taken away due to bikes blocking the window of the shop there.
    Not sure and don't care of which shop it is but their view is they pay rent to have products seen from there and believe bikes were blocking their sales opportunity....

I now park on the other side outside Boarders, plenty of space and still undercover parking. They're only putting signs where tenants have stated concerns.
    Of course, if you query them, they can always though in some safety bullsh&t to further justify their actions.

But yes I agree that they should have some allocated m/c parking as they do in Chaddy.

8. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

Do they (the shopping centres) have the right to stop us parking on footpaths, I tend to treat them as a bit of a paper tiger....... I mean what power's do the shopping centres have?

p.s. I ignore signs and park my bike near Borders.. so far no probs.

9. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

yes they do have the right because it's their private land and can do as they please.
    If you know t's public land, then normal motorcycle footpath parking guidelines apply.

10. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

It's a road related area so they can ask police or council to fine people for parking contrary to signage. In and of themselves though, it is unlikely that centre management can do anything more than point to the conditions of entry and refuse you entry in future if you breach them.

11. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

In NSW "Public" extends to areas freely open to the public. I'm not sure about Victoria, but were it here, unless it was ticketed parking, then the normal road rules would apply.

The situation does beg the question about what rights private organisations have to tow or wheel clamp vehicles.

12. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

Vic giudelines has info about parking on private areas such as shopping centers.

Vic Motocycle Parking
    guidelines

13. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

Not quite true.
    If it's a "road related area" they can fine you for parking contrary to council signage.
    If it's private property they can:
    (i) Ask you to leave (and you must); or
    (ii) Try and sue you like "Care Parking" do.. (They haven't succeeded yet).
    They cannot "fine" you and you can generally ignore any fine not issued by a council.

14. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

But don't private companies have the right to tow vehicles that a parked in contravention to their signage on their land?

15. Re: Help with NO MOTORCYCLE PARKING letter.

Thats a real grey area.
    A company can "remove a tresspass" but they would need to advertise this pretty well first.

16. I'm still thinking that a coffee morning for as many Vic netrider is in order...plenty of parking to be had :)

17. Yep, great idea!
    100 riders, 1 bike middle of each spot all near a door and staying there max time allowed........
    Here's betting some car will car park split.... if there's such a term.

Love it!

18. I'd frame the letter about how you not parking in a car space is of benefit to them and then suggest a solution, such as dedicated bike spots or permitted foot path parking. Rather than threaten, offer a solution that works for both parties.

19. i too am in the knox area so if the morning coffee to take a spot goes ahead i will wander on down, this type of attitude from shops shit me

20. Good thing to add, less bikes parking in car parks means more people can park cars there so more people can come spend money.