Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with Internet on Phone

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by V2, May 1, 2009.

1. I've just bought a new phone (Sony Ericcson Z750i - no fancy Apple I-phone) and it has internet access. The only site I'd want to use when not on my home computer is the BOM site to check where the rain is, but when I try to look at this site on the phone I get a "communication failure" error. Anyone know why? I'm guessing the phone has a basic browser that can not handle maps?

2. Call your provider and get them to send you the settings for internet access for your mobile.

Save it and try again.

I don't think the BOM site will work because there isn't a mobile internet version (AFAIK).

Your provider may have there own site with a weather info service
  3. Any site will work as long as its supported by the browser regardless of mobile or not.
    Some info here may help: http://www.bom.gov.au/help/#internet
  4. i can access the bom on my phone ( nokia e71) but depending on coverage it can time out and wont load, then i get a message saying network error
  5. Thanks all

Sent Telstra an email - should have an answer in a month or two! Also found a "similar" site on bigpond's site, a bit crappier in appearance, but at least its free web time!
  6. just use google to search for internet settings for your phone and carrier.

All you should need to set up in the APN and you should be away.

BOM will work on any phone with a decent browser.

The iPhone however is just awesome ;)

sorry to rub it in.

Did you find the SE? surely no one in their right mind would part with money for one. :p
  7. +1 and load up the Pkt Weather app for all your BOM weather goodness ;)
  8. iPhone cant do MMS........... who brings out a new phone that cant do MMS

Long Live Nokia!!!!!
  9. i phone doesnt do MMS??? wtf
  10. I've never sent or received an mms on any of the dozen phones I've had that support it. Why again do I want to?
    Oh and look, the iPhone 3.0 software will do it anyway.
    You know, for those that want to pay absurb amounts for it.
  11. heh nokia, biggest crap i have owned, and im sure u would like to know that iPhone will have mms and voice turn by turn maps next month, stick that up ya, iPhone wins again :grin: :grin: :grin:
  12. I've had the iPhone for 2 and a bit months and can state that, even with its small number of shortcomings, it is the best phone I have ever* owned.

Bring on 3.0

*of course that love affair may soon come to an end, but hey, if no one upgraded then development would stall ;)
  13. i got mine the 1st day they came out, was just a coincidence my contract expired on that day and vodafone where offering me a new phone, so i got the iPhone, i hated it at 1st, to big, no mms, 3g was a bit slow and so on, then the updates started rolling out and the phone just kept getting better, and better, and better, 3.0 update is going to be a ripper
  14. nice one geeth,

Video calling, lets see, I've used that maybe 3 times in total since switching to 3's 3G network way back when it first came out in the early 200?
  15. Glad to hear the iPhone will have caught up with the rest of the market next month.

+1 Vic does anyone use video calls??
    I always thought that was just a specs list page filler.
  16. WM6.1 on my HTC!
  17. I do agree that videocalling is pretty much a wasted feature... unless theres a wasted girl on the other end (we all know where that's going)

Actually the main thing that sh!ts me about the iPhone (most mac products) is the users.
    They never just say 'oh my phone is ringing' it's suddenly 'oh my iPhone is ringing' You never hear 'my n95' etc
    When they have a mac they suddenly don't have a computer it's a mac.
    They don't have a mp3 player they have an ipod
  18. The only thing I miss is MMS when people send me the fcuking things. But the iPhone is the best phone I've ever had. I resisted and resisted and also took the piss out of people who had one. Then my Treo died and I wanted a new phone. I relented and now I realise what I've been missing.
  19. Yep, I did the same for a year. At midnight as soon as I saw what 3.0 was to offer I bought one 10 hours later.

The decision to get one was made easier as I smashed the screen on my N95 8GB

A good Nokia is a broken Nokia ;)