Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with GS500F exhaust and rejet?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by someguy, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Hi all, I have an 08 GS500F and I am wondering what options I have for a full exhaust system (I don't want to cut anything) that won't need to be dropped to change the oil, or necessitate removing the centre stand. Also, I was wondering how much it would cost to pay someone to rejet my carbs, I've been around cars for a while now, but only ever modded EFI, and the thought of pulling those carbies apart scares me... I'm thinking of going the exhaust/filter/rejet route that seems to be so popular with these bikes, and any advice/wisdom would be very welcome.
    Thanks all,

2. carbies are easy. do some internet research and talk to some people in the know and you will pick up the gist in no time. then just play with it till you get it right. you will save allot of money there. (labour is $100 an hour)

but i will prefix that by saying: you will probably spend a grand+ on a full system + filter + jets. and you will get 54hp instead of 50.

save that money to get a better next bike. your next bike will be 100-180hp and will make the gs feel 100 years old. you will be better off puting the grand into that either getting a better bike or customising it.

no matter what anyone says as soon as you can upgrade your first bike... you will.

ps i just spend abit of money pimping my bike (pipe,filter,tuning)... but its already putting out more than enough power and it was more for sound and smoothing out the powerband.

a wise man once said... if you need to spend money to improve the performance of an engine... the engine didnt have enough performance to beging with... get another.

i always wonder why people who chuck a few k at a 600 didnt just get a 1000to begin with ](*,)
  3. + 1 on what Slick said
  4. -1

no introduction, your a gimmie :D
  5. Hmm. I can see where you're coming from, but if everyone had that opinion, there would be no mods available for anything, bike, car or otherwise. I should have said, I don't really care about performance gains, mainly would like some more noise. The GS runs lean standard, so a rejet is a must, and while I'm at it I might as well change the air filter.
  6. if you must. like i said just do some research and do it yourself.

with a pipe and filter you will probably need to go up main jet sizes (jets are pretty cheap and a gs only has 2 carbies so its not too bad)

you might also need to go up a clip on the needle and possibley (though less likley) might need to change the pilot jet. that and the a/f screw is about as much as you can do with carbies

but its really all about testing and tuning. doing plug chops (google it) at different throttle positions and then making adjustments based on how ritch or lean it is at a particular throttle position.

its natural to want to mod your bike... most people want to mod their first bike. depending how much longer you are on your restrictions then you have to determine if its worth it or not.
  7. Cheers for the help. I've still got 12 months on restrictions, and I can't stand sounding like an asthmatic lawnmower for a whole year.
  8. I put a full system on my GS500, twin K&N filters, and rejetted, all myself. I am in no way a mechanic, so if I can do it you can too. Was it worth it? Yeah, gave it a nice sound, fatter midrange, all for around $900 all up.

If you have the $$$ then do it, no reason why you shouldn't.

Have a read of my thread about it. https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=100173
  9. Thanks for the info guys, I'll have a read.