Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

help with daelim roadwin 125 modification

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by geoffmason8, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I have been given a new daelim roadwin 125, i was wondering if anyone had any parts or new of a way to make it a bit quicker,
    i know its only a 125 but it was a freebie

2. Bore it out, open airbox, aftermarket filter to let more air in, free flowing exhaust, and of course re-jet after this.

That, or wack another motor in

Doubt there'd be many aftermarket parts for the little Korean brand. They are pretty good bikes from what I could tell when I rode them at my Pre-Learners course 18 months ago. I think they top out at 90-100kmh from memory with stock gearing. Cheap bike, but didn't look cheaply made (I though they were Jap bikes when I first saw them). Would be good for just running around town, wouldn't even think about going anywhere the speed is over 80.

Pretty nice looking bike too, or so I think.

Good on ya scoring a free one!

3. Sell it and buy something better.

Regards, Andrew.

4. First up ... cut the end off the can and remove everything from inside. You may want to fabricate an insert to keep noise levels down a tad, or you could just buy an aftermarket pipe depending on how much money you have. (keep an eye out as I will soon be making a post of a custom inner slip for a stock exhaust, not this bike though).
    Second ... Air-box. Depending on the style of air-box, you may be able to remove the lid and leave it off, just make sure your air-filter is held securely. If not, you may want to look at K&N pod filters, or even velo-stacks. These will require you to remove the air-box altogether, and bolt the new component onto the end of the carb.
    Third ... once part one and two are done, you will NEED to adjust the carbs. You should be able to get a jet-kit to suit your carb, just ask around and find one that fits. Larger needles are required to keep up with the new flow of intake and exhaust.
    Four ... remove any un-neccessary items from the bike. Anything that you don't need should be removed to save as much weight as possible. You may even want to go on a diet to remove some un-neccessary rider weight (lol).
    Five ... remove all emission items from the bike. Most bikes have extra tubes from carbs, air-boxes, and even the engine that can be removed without damaging the bike. You will need a service manual to find out what your bike has installed on it.

Optional ... if you have a bit of time, and money, you could look at getting the motor bored and stroked to give it more capacity (cc's). This can become quite costly as you will need to get the cyclinders bored, then install new conrods and pistons as required.
    You could change the sprockets depending on what you want out of the bike. More top end speed requires a larger front and smaller rear sprocket, more acceleration requires a smaller front and larger rear sprocket.
    Turbo?? Seriously, think about the turbo from a Saab 9000. They are small and apply around 3-4psi. Provided the engine is reasonably strong, you should be able to run one without too many problems ... lol

5. Im with him, thats mad you got it for free, as i dont know why anyone would buy one of these things..

To increase performance on that bike is pointless. Sell it, trade it, or whatever and get a nice 250 :grin:

6. Obviously not ...

There is nothing wrong with these bikes. Seriously can't be any worse than a CBR125. And if it was free and you are not planning on spending serious money on it ... then why not. Hence the suggestions I made before, as most of them can be done by yourself provided you spend some time (for trial and error) and do the job properly.

7. Hey i would love any bike for free.
    As you said as long as you dont plan to be spending serious money on it, if you can perform mods that cost next to nothing then fair enough, go for your suggestions.
    My cousin has a CBR125 and they are a bit better, better looking anyway.

8. A freebie? Lucky man.

I've had some great fun on 125cc Daelims in Asia when I was getting started. I'd suggest you just enjoy it for what it is - a super cheap commuter, and don't throw any more bucks at it. I dunno how reliable they are or what sort of access there is to parts, but you can have fun on pretty much anything and if I were you I'd save my pennies for an eventual upgrade rather than wasting them trying to squeeze more power out of this little fella.

9. i had one for for about 2 years it lived on the redline taking me to work and back on the M2. U cant kill em. Parts are stupid cheap piston and rings set me back a whole $50. Not that it needed them. Parts are avalible from Asia Motors in Liverpool. They mainly do Daewoo buses.

There was a guy on the coast that raced one, he did a ton of mods to it not sure how u would go about finding him thou. But i wouldnt bother with power mods.

and they max out at about 110-120.

BTW its a pumper carb in there and i found it a bit confusing taking it apart as i was cleaning it, cause its got some extra parts. Just keep it in mind if u plan on rejeting.

10. Pumper carb?

They are the type normally fitted to chainsaws which have a diaphragm, activated by exhaust pulses, to draw fuel in. They use a throttle butterfly plate like the average CV carb, but I didn't think anyone would use one on a 4 stroke bike, since there is no throttle slide as such.

Or is it an ordinary CV type carb?

Cheers

Trevor G

11. Really?? ;-)

You can get daelim jet kits?

The OP will need to work out whether it is a mikuni or keihin derivative, since they use different jets.

Mikuni jets are distributed in Townsville, I think, while Keihins are sold by ShowandGo in SA.

Larger needles?

Is he entering a knitting competition? ;-)

A larger main jet might be appropriate, but all that happens with jet needles (which control the mixture from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle opening) is that you move them up or down in the slide to adjust the mixture.

Most J carbs these days don't have notches and a circlip to hold the needle in place, so you can really only lift it up (which makes it richer) by placing a small washer underneath the "head" of the needle, to hold it up a little (maybe 1mm) higher.

Cheers ;-)

Trevor G

12. my bad not a pumper.
    i ment accelarator pump.

confused me on the day, i just rember struggling to put mine back together.

13. Oh.

A pumper carb. Frequently. ;-)

It's an accelerator pump, horrible fuel wasting idea. ;-)

Cheers (and you win...)

Trevor G