Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with Changing Sprockets-Chain and Service

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by gs250rr, Feb 24, 2013.

1. hello forum

I need to change the sprocket-chain and service the bike (CBR250RR) and I am thinking of doing it myself but I need someone knowledgeable to help me out since I have never done this before (been riding 3 months).

So far I understand -
    1) Get the sprockets and chain - I called MCAS and they are selling -
    front sprocket $50
    rear sprocket $56
    XSO-RK chain (136) $130

2) Get the engine oil, oil and air filter from Ross at Gulf Western.

Show stoppers so far -

1) I need a fellow NSWRider/NetRider to come along and show me how it's done - case of beer or the price of it shall certainly be my pleasure. Please let me know if someone is available.

2) I would need to be able to have the tools - i.e; bike stand to raise the rear tyre and generally I am not very handy so a toolkit will be needed too. How much do these cost?

* Google tells me that I should have a chain breaker and press-fit tool before I start.

* MCAS sell a kit that should solve the purpose of cutting/pressing the chain for $60.
    I would still need a stand to mount the rear tyre.

3) and finally, Scarborough hotel ride is coming up on Saturay 16th MAR so I really hope I can get this sorted by weekend of 2-3 MAR or 9-10 MAR.

I am in Castle Hill, NSW

2. do a search on youtube. On my bike it shows how to change front sprocket and chain.
  3. I did by myself at home in like 2 to 3 hours. isn't that hard. If you have all the parts and tools and free time to do it will be cheaper than paying someone.

Like uncosnail said, check on youtube for tutorial of How to replace a motorcycle chain.

As well, you need a feel tools to break the chain like:

Chain breaker & chain plate press.

The first one will remove the pin from your old chain e the second one will be used when you instal the new chain ( to press the new pin on to the chains links ).

all the tools you will need u can buy it from supercheap auto. I believe you need the spanner to:

- remove back wheel nut, clip and axle.
    - free the break nuts.
    - some race rear motorcycle stand ( there is on ebay from 60 Aud ).

Check this video to see how is done:

I think buying all the parts, stand, tools, chains will be cheaper then paying to some motorcycle shop to do it.
  4. It's not a hard job, but a painful one.
    You don't need a chain breaker. Count the links on your old chain and have the shop size the chain to suit. I use to do it for my punters at no cost as it's a 2 second job.
    You WILL need a bloody good vice!. The rear sprocket nuts are lockers. They don't come undone very easily at all.
    Do not over tighten the nuts on the front sprocket case. Hand tight only. If you hear a ping when tightening casing nuts. You've just gone to far and now will have an oil leak.
    And a few bricks works ok for a stand if you have a mate to help raise it onto them. But I would have one in my shed cause they are very handy.
    Retighten you new chain about four hours after you fit it. Then check it weekly. You can save good money caring for your chain.
  5. Thank you uncosnail and px400 for ideas.

I had seen a similar video and the guys were using pretty specific tools.. the tools that I have at the moment are mostly indoors/garden.. not much garage stuff.. so it looked kinda space-tech to me LOL

Although I am quite keen now to do it myself but at the same time I don't want to end up in a situation where I open up the wheel etc.. and then can't pack it up :p

This is the main reason I was hoping if someone around here has the knowledge and can manage to assist me then it would add a lot of confidence. There is someone I am talking to, he said he may be able to come along but this is not final yet.

Once I have a confirmation that DIY workshop is a go ahead then I want to buy the tools required -
    1) Paddock stand - eBay.
    2) Chain and Sprockets - eBay.

MCAS Auburn or Supercheap?
    3) Chain Breaker
    4) Chain Press
    5) Engine Oil
    6) Oil Filter
    7) Tools? not sure which one's - MCAS told me they had some $60 standard kit.. wonder if it has everything. Anyone know?

I will do some research and get back to confirm the plan and hopefully someone can confirm the order of steps.
  6. Thanks bretto61 - Your comments above are exact representation of my fear.. that if did it all by myself then I may get them wrong .. and then all of a sudden the DIY workshop could turn into a nightmare.. :confused:
  7. So, bear in mind that I'm a ham-fisted mechanical novice here...

The basics would be something like this:
    - socket set covering sizes ~ 8mm - 19mm (from Bunnings/Supercheap/etc - this will probably be the most expensive item on the list, I think I paid $80 for mine)
    - set of spanners for the same sizes (I paid $20 from Supercheap)
    - you'll probably need additional sizes of spanners or sockets depending on your bike, e.g. my rear axle nut is 24mm
    - breaker bar for loosening nuts that some bastard tightened with power tools
    - a set of screwdrivers and allen keys (if your socket set doesn't include these)
    - if you're planning to go near anything electrical, get a multimeter

Listening in to the info about changing chain and sprockets with interest because I'm planning to do that to my bike for the first time this weekend!
  8. A torque wrench is a good investment .I have worked on everything from pushbikes to heavy earthmoving machinery & the biggest mistake i have seen is people overtightening things, especially around aluminium & soft alloys
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Heres how to do it on my bike
  11. I started doing this this afternoon and came unstuck with removing the rear sprocket nuts. Unfortunately I lack bretto's "bloody good vice". Any other suggestions for removing them? My current plan A is to get some of the stuff that you can dribble into threads to help loosen up nuts, although I'm not sure if that will help if they've been loctited. Plan B is, erm, hoping that someone on here has a bright idea.
  12. A long piece of pipe that fits over the handle of your spanner might give you some more leverage.
  13. Have a breaker bar but can't hold the sprocket holder in place tight enough (hence previous comment mentioning not having a vice). If it makes it clearer, the sprocket is attached to a separate piece which clips onto the wheel. Have tried standing on it to try to stop it turning but that's a crappy way to be doing things.
  14. Crack the rear sprocket bolts while the wheel is still on the bike.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. The sprocket nuts on the VTR face inwards (towards the rim, not the chain) so can't get a spanner to them until the sprocket carrier is off the wheel. Damn you Honda!

Going to give heat + WD40 a shot.
  16. if you are going to heat it I hope you have new nut's & bolts, they are a specific item & heat will fcuk them, & i dont think heat will help, get a vice & a piece of pipe for your breaker bar, I done mine on my cb750 yesterday Had to jump on the breaker bar to loosen them
    • Like Like x 1
  17. hope you get it sorted, I know it can be frustrating doing something for the first time , stick with it , good to see you having a crack at it ,learning more about your bike by doing your own maintenence also makes for a better rider :finger:
  18. I must but the right bikes to work on because I have never had an issue getting rear sprockets off. Never needed a vice, etc.
    Good luck with it and have fun.
    You will feel a sense of achievement once you work it out and get her all back together.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I've had to change a rear sprocket on the run before....aka in the bush.
    I used the blade of a tomahawk to stop the sprocket turning, so then I could get the nuts loose. I have also used a pitchfork to hold it.
    Heat nor goop will release it. They are locking nuts that are made not to come loose. It's not that they are so tight. It's how the hell do you hold a round thing with teeth without hurting oneself.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Thanks bretto for that explanation, it was what I needed to know if not what I wanted to hear. After a quick hunt around for, er, more agricultural ways to stop the sprocket from turning, I've admitted defeat for the moment. Sometimes living in the latte-sipping inner suburbs has its downsides, not as much stuff "just lying around", nor a shed with a decent work space. The old rear sprocket wasn't too badly worn so I just cleaned all the crud off it and put the new chain on. Took 'er for a ride around the block and all seems to be good.

I've still got the new sprocket so can have another shot at putting it on some time when I'm feeling less frustrated by it (or manage to con someone with better tools to help me). Not the ideal situation but sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses!

On a more positive note, I do feel like I've learned a bit this weekend and glad I at least attempted to do this myself.

edit: Thanks also to micksing for all of your help!