Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help with a diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Maurice Blackburn, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Do the following symptoms mean what I think they mean?

1. During Sunday afternoon beers repeatedly glancing over your partner’s shoulder at passing bikes
    2. Observing the glint in folks eyes when they talk about riding
    3. Increasingly descending into motorcycle talk to the exclusion of others
    4. Discovering you seem to know quite a few riders already
    5. Walking a little slower down Elizabeth Street

• Like Like x 6
  2. ...lol... what bike are you getting??
  3. Don't fight it!
    It'll only hurt more.....:p

4. 6. Setting up and getting your braking done... before you take the turn with your supermarket trolley. :)
  5. Three potential treatments have been prescribed; a GT650 Hyosung, Suzuki GS500 or a Honda CB400.

6. You'll know you're in trouble when you start pretending your shopping trolley has a clutch and throttle to amuse the kids
    • Like Like x 1

7. Nice one. :D

Except I didn't walk slow on Elizabeth street, I actually started going into the shops.

I also had the bug since a toddler. There are quite a few pics of me sitting on my dad's bike. :)
  8. From the looks of it, you're looking at lams..

My opinion would be in this order..

1: CB400 (probably the quickest but easy to handle unrestricted bike avail but most expensive)
    2: GS500 (not as modern as the honda but more affordable but a solid basic bike - it was my first bike)
    3: Hyo (I would rather a non restricted bike than a restricted larger capacity bike)
    Oh, and you'll soon get plenty here about being a hyo... lol

Have fun choosing, it's never easy...haha
  9. You will be assimilated!

You are just one step closer!

And to think "I thought I was normal"

Two wheels, the only way to go

10. Spot on re LAMS; it's baffling.
  11. I think Joe's got the list covered. Hyo's can be ok, but they do have a fair share of lemons right out of the box.

Sooo, got ya lessons organised?? :) ...you will be assimilated. lol
  12. Maybe add the Kawasaki ER6nl to your list, I think they are certainly worth a look. The CB400 is great choice too, but then I am biased.
  13. And I thought that was only me! I like getting the smaller trolley, more nimble. Oh, and OP, motorcycling is like an STD, so yes you have caught it. This one can't be treated either.
  14. One of the best parts of buying a bike is test riding them. So, get your L's and test ride as many as you can and buy the one you like the most.

Oh, and don't be to concerned about buying new, there are some good older LAMS bike out there, but have someone knowledgeable look at it before you hand over any money.
  15. One corner of my desk...

Resistance is futile.
  16. :rofl:

Good work mate. My prognosis is many smiles and much comradarie ahead. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Awesome!!!!!!

Who knows, you'll probably soon enough get to the point where you'll be sad at the end of a 1000k day because you want to go further! :LOL:
  18. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. I highly recommend the CB400, great bike and very easy to learn on. I may be bias since I bought a lemon but stay far away from the GT650R, there are still quite a few manufacturing issues with them.
  20. Agreed - trying to not get too attached to any ideas I have at this stage because I'm not exactly batting from a firm knowledge base.

Lunch at my desk on this --- http://www.okcupid.com/results/the-motorcycle-personality-test/?var_pomp=1&var_zeal=10&fromCGI=1&var_moxie=5 --- saw me get this:

Your result for The Motorcycle Personality Test ... Yamaha FJR1300

You scored 5 moxie, 10 zeal, and 1 pomp!
    You have the characteristics of a master street rider. On the way to work, your love for riding sometimes leads you to take the long way. The 50-miles-of-back-roads long way. You live for the perfect road, and plan vacations around riding.

You need a bike that can handle your addiction to the twisties as well as comfortably carry two on a weekend trip through the mountains. Your bike is the FJR1300. Can I borrow it someday?

Maybe a little OTT for now me thinks - not sure what that equates to on the LAMS list though ...