Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help! The fun police are trying to strangle my new pipe!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by DVC, May 25, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I just recently bought a Daytona 675 and ordered the Arrow slip-on pipe for it. The pipe arrived today but I immediately it realised looks different to this one I saw online:

The pipe I took out of the box seems to have had an extra bit rammed down its throat and fixed with a screw. I can only assume it's some measure taken strangle the pipe to conform with emissions laws:

I'm thinking I can just remove the screw, pull the baffle out and I'll have the the pipe I wanted, but I was wondering if anyone on here could think of a compelling reason not to do it before I went ahead.

I figure since it looks relatively easy to remove it should also be straightforward to put it back in when it's time for rego inspections etc.
  2. Take it out. Put it back in if it's too loud.
  3. looks to me like the opening would be much larger without that bit in place and therefore would affect back pressure.

if the opening size is more in line with your old pipe i'd say that your engine will run better with the bit in unless you have a powercommander or give the engine a tune.
  4. +1, looks like a removable baffle to me! I had one in the leo vince on my SV. Handy to stick back in if you know you're going to be taking a pilion or for long highway stretches where the sound can get annoying.
  5. Make sure to keep it, if you get pinged for a loud exhaust and need to go over the pits it might save you replacing the whole pipe with a stocker.
  6. Yep it's just a baffle... remove, but keep it.
  7. I like what I'm hearing so far, but junglist's comment has given me pause:

Can anyone speculate as to whether that could affect the engine?
  8. not really
    Adjust the idles if it idles too high that's about it.
  9. Yes it will affect the engine. As much as a piece of string is long.

Unfortunately only a dyno run will tell you that. Which I would hope was a plan anyways.
  10. Thanks for all the advice.
  11. The usual effect seems to be that with a freer-flowing exhaust your bike will run richer than stock. In order to correctly map your fuel injection to suit the new exhaust, you'll need something like a power commander, unless Triumph build in some way of altering the air/fuel mix. Often you can download a map to suit your bike and the particular pipe you've bought, but otherwise you'll need to get it dyno tuned. It's not real cheap.
  12. What Loz said - the bike will need some re-tuning for the new pipe anyway, so get it done with the baffle out if that's how you'll be riding it. If you have to put it back in it'll only be for long enough to get an inspection done.
  13. it would be there to comply with our noise laws.. sure you can run without it but there is that small chance the fuzz will sticker you for it. the laws in europe are much less restrictive (ha ha) when it comes to noise..
  14. its just a baffle that you can take away. i noticed slight decrease in performance with it on, but i lost the screw for mine do its never on there. unfortunally for me it was on my brothers bike and he stacked it not once but twice last night. slid out on tram tracks once each side. now i have a scratched up can =[

all i can say is tram tracks are :evil: in the damp!
  15. I would have said leaner not richer.
  16. same..although when i take the plug out of mine you smell fuel a touch as it flows freeier and burns less though the pipe
  17. I could be right off - I just know I've had two bikes with aftermarket cans and both have run well rich. Personally I don't think I'd bother modifying a streetbike exhaust unless the bike was something like a bandit 1200 that gained a huge amount of horsepower from the process. Putting a pipe on for looks and sounds seems like a thousand-dollar-plus wank to me.

18. +1

That said, a lot of newer bikes these days have very heavy pipes to help meet the new euro emissions standards and swapping to something lighter will make a bigger difference on one of these newer bikes than on an older model.
  19. +1 here too. I unashamedly admit that's the only reason I'm doing it. But it's what I want to do because I love a bike that sounds and looks great. :)
  20. As a general rule, more air in or more air out (closely related) = leaner. The EFI bikes might be doing some funky stuff modifying maps on the fly with 02 sensors maybe, but I'd be sceptical.

Anyway, a very extensive list of mods on both my race bikes.... no aftermarket pipes on either. :wink: But if money were no object, I'd do it for the sound and a slight weight saving. Each to their own.