Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help starting my Zeal

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by nikku, Jul 29, 2006.

1. I have trouble starting my Zeal. I'm in central Queensland, and this can happen midmorning, so I don't think it should be too cold :)
    I haven't figured out the magical technique by trial and error yet... I try different things (including promising sacrifices to ancient gods), and then eventually one time when I press the starter button, it will roar to life.
    I always get it eventually, and after I've started it once it's good for the rest of the day, so maybe the cold does have something to do with it...

Is it always easier to start an engine with full choke? Or can a half choke or no choke work better?

Sometimes it'll catch, the revs will go up briefly, then fall and stall (over just a couple of seconds). If, during this brief life, I try to open the throttle even the slightest bit in a futile attempt to keep the revs high, that only seems to kill the revs instantly.

Sometimes I hold the throttle open a bit before I press the starter, and hold it open as it catches. If it works, the revs shoot up above idle, but inexorably start to fall (with the throttle held constant). To counter this, I progressively open the throttle further, just to keep revs steady above stalling. After a little while the revs start to climb instead of fall - as they should - and I know it's safe to ease the throttle off and let it idle.

Any thoughts?

I'm also concerned about draining the battery with so many attempts to start it. How long is a decent ride to keep the battery charged?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Whatdoes the manual say? Does it have standard jetting? If the chock is working correctly you shouldnt need any throttle.
    If the carbs and exhaust has been modified you'll have to find the sweet spot through trial ad error. I'd be more concerned about starter wear the battery drain. Good luck.

3. The manual just says not to accellerate hard until the engine is warm, and I will know when the engine is warm because it will respond properly to the throttle. Doesn't help much getting it to turn over in the first place :)

Everything is stock, it's only done 14,000km.

Simply having the choke out and no throttle doesn't always work (but neither always does having throttle). It just seems more or less random what combination of things I happen to be trying when it finally turns over and maintains idling. (Note: it might not be random; it might just seem random to my ignorance :) )

Thanks.

4. It won't be random!

I would try full choke, and no throttle, keep it spinning until it catches, no revs/throttle until the temp reaches at least half of operating temp.

Many of the 4 cylinder 250's flood easily if you wind the throttle too much when starting.

A warm start shouldn't require any choke.

5. I never had a problem with my Zeal, but my sister-in-law had heaps of trouble starting hers. (BTW don't buy a red Zeal from PS in Dandenong - she just traded it in :grin: )

Try the choke in different positions. ie 1/4 on, 1/2 on etc until you find a sweet spot!

Good luck with it.

6. To be effective, Zeal requires faith, dedication,and perseverance. For best results, ensure that your zeal is directed toward the common good.
    Hope this helps, cause I know nothing about in-line fours.
    :grin:

7. Do you ALWAYS turn of your fuel tap at night as some bikes suffer from a kind of back flow & flood themselves if you don't. Old Across I had for a while was notorious for this!

8. I have to admit, I sometimes forget to turn the fuel tap off. :oops: Combine that with randomly trying opening the throttle while starting the bike, and it seems as though I'm probably flooding the engine.
    Ok, I'll only try various choke positions, no throttle, from now on.
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)

9. It would be nice to see what you come up with incase this problem is posed by another netrider. Help is a two way street.
    :)

10. nikku, hay there mate, I've got the same bike and HAD the same problem. :( I would run my battery flat every time. You need to pull the chock out all the way, you will hear two clicks as you pull it out, start the bike and let it warm up until it starts revving it's tits off then push it in to the next click and let it rev again until it reving tit's off again and push in it all the way, but dont open the trottle yet just let it sit a little but if it sound like it is going to die pull the chock out just a tad, and once you push it all the way back in again just slowly give a little bit of trottle. try this mate it works a dream on my bike. And try to remember to turn off fuel

Hope this helps :grin:

Cheers Lou

11. I am in exactly the same boat as you Nikku with my little 4 cylinder so i will be watching this thread with as much dedication as a fat kid on a donut.

What's working for me (so far!) is to have my choke on half way and no throttle and she kicks over a treat.

Mind you i worked that out after hours of flooding it, draining the battery, swearing at it, shaking it, and the temptation of a sacrificial burning. So, as it has been said, its just a matter of finding it's sweet spot.

I'm begining to understand the frustration that men must face... O:)