Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help Speedo may be out?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Doggy, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Going for a ride yesterday and I was sitting on 110kph (indicated) and one of the guys out here was sitting in the lane on my right doing 100kph (indicated) he says that he has checked his speedo with GPS and reckons it's only about 2kph out. Is there any way to adjust the speedo settings? I have a GS500 k3.

2. Gotta agree.
    All speedos are out it seems, but some more than others. I have been toying with the idea of a cycle computer so I might check that one out too, thanks, MH
  3. I'm not sure about the construction of your speedo, but I pulled a Festiva speedo apart recently and was suprised to find that it's had the old style calibration screws in it.

If yours does then it's just trial and error.
  4. Oh well it looks like I'll be riding at 110kph a lot from now on :eek: I'll just get the wife out with the family s/wagon and to some comparrisons. No probs.

5. Would that put the odometer out too?
  6. MArty...did u have to extend the Sigma cable and how did u mount the magnet (the one that supposed to go on the bicycle spokes) on the bike wheel?? :wink:
  7. Under ADR speedos can be up to 10% out.

Try and find one of those mobile suburban speed check trailers and test the bike against its read out. A drop of white-out on the speedo is a crude but easy way of marking the key limit speeds.
  8. You can pick up one of those push bike computers for around $25.

They are very accurate, because you calibrate them when you first trun them on.

Just measure the actual (don't calculate it because it varies with tyre manufacture and tyre pressure) distance traveled by your front wheel and punch it in.

this will tell you how far out you are.