Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help required .. pay dispute

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by VTRBob, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Wow talk about off topic :LOL:

Ok here is the story, all us company mechanics are in the process of entering into a new EBA. In short we have lost a few perks but gained in other areas, ie: no more xmas bonus, but instead we can look forward to a quarterly "performance bonus" if we hit or pass our quota, [ I have run @ 70% over for the past two years so no worrys there]. :twisted:

Here is our sticking point, besides the usual 3%annual pay rise, the company is bringing in a 'location/trades' allowance. Fair enough the Perth branch is getting $5 an hr extra, harder to keep tradies with all the mine work available. No problem there ! :)

Now Melb mechanics get...................... 1.50
    Syd " " ...................................................1.50
    Canb " " .................................................1.50
    Bris " " ...................................................1.75
    Hunter/Coffs [ me ] ...............................0.40

At the meeting today when this was queried, we where told " thats because your cost of living is below the other branches" but this could not be verified ......... the question was asked, did some pen pusher pull these figgers out of his/her arse then ? No comment was forthcoming :evil:

I've been trolling the net for the past few hrs, trying to get some CPI figgers to compare Syd / Hunter vally and Coffs, to have some ammunition when we have our next meeting in two weeks.

Can anyone direct me to a site that may have the info I'm after ?

I know we are only arguing over 1.10 an hr, but for the 18 of us that work in Hunter and Coffs it's now become a mission :LOL:

2. Sorry, can't really help with your question but I would offer this. Be careful with the performance bonus, all they need to do is up your quota by 100% for next year and you could very well end up with squat having not doubled your work! Be sure it is spelled out how they set the targets.

3. you can bet they charge their customers the same rate as syd. good luck getting what you deserve.

4. Is there a trade union that covers you blokes?

5. check out the ABS

Australian Bureau of Statistics

they should have a break down of the quarterly CPI by state./city

if i had time i would get the link for you, just google ABS for now, if i get time i'll get it for you later..

good luck!

6. Check it

CPI by capital city for March 2008

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...es+Comparison?OpenDocument#122429141614995055

CPI by capital city for December 2007

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...CE925ACE77DB61C1CA25743300188CEE?opendocument

the list goes on, do some browsing, its all under the title Capital City Comparison.

This doesnt answer your question entirely, but i doubt you will be able to find those statistics in smaller localities, you could try the Reserve Bank of Australias website, but i doubt you can localise inflation like that within a particular state thus why the main use is capital city/state break down to get an average for taht state.

Unless you dive into rural area scenario, then maybe thats justified... there are various economic implications for this.. and there are many arguments for/against.

7. I believe the ABS does stats for socio-economic status by postcode, but that's not exactly what you're looking for. I'd be surprised if they don't also do some kind of cost of living measure, though.